Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

20x8.5 or 20x10? Difference?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Afalconsvick, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick Member

What's the difference between the two rims? What's better if I'm lifting my Silverado and getting 33" tires?

2. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Ummm.....one is 1.5" wider than the other. :rules:. Which one you get depends on how much you lift.

3. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick Member

Say 6" lift? Sorry about the goofy question just couldn't find any solid answers on Google :grrrrrr:

4. Blackout07

I wouldn't do anything less than x10. Expect some possible rubbing though..even with a 33 if you go that route.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Typical wheel sizes are:
    17x8
    18x9
    20x10

There are, of course, varying widths but I believe those are the most common. 20x8.5 sounds stupidly skinny for how tall a 20" wheel is. I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to find 35's that are rated for a mere 8.5" width. My 305's (34.3") tires are on 17x8's .... and 8" is the absolute thinnest wheel that's within proper spec for the tires. You WILL have to trim to avoid rubbing if you do a 20x10, though. Expect it. (I had to trim for 17x8's but it was minor.)

Surreal

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I like a thinner rim on a tire. The reason for that is I like the sidewall to protect my investment on the rims. With that set up the tire will stick out just a little past the edge of the rim. So if you were to take a straight edge and run it from one side of the tire's side wall across the rim to the other side of the side wall the edge of the straight edge will not touch the rim. Were as if you go with a wider rim the tire sidewall will be level with the sidewall. So the tire does not protect the rim. I believe the safe number is 2"'s. So say you get a 12" wide tire a 10" wide rim is ok.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Agreed. Note that a wheel that's half as wide as it is tall is typically amply protected by the tires if the proper tire width is chosen. That's usually easy to do with standard-width wheels. :)

8. Corso

Corso Member

These are my 2 trucks; one with a 20x10, one with a 20x8.5. FYI, the overall height of the tires on these trucks is the same as the stock tire height. Well, let's just say very close....within a 1/2" or so.

This is a 20x10 (not the best picture, sorry) with a 305/50-20 tire:
    [​IMG]

This is a 20x8.5 with a 285/55-20 tire:
    [​IMG]

9. Blackout07

Most tires these days for larger diameter wheels have lip protectors on them. The lip of the wheel is recessed into the tire regardless of wheel width. My Nittos are this way. An 8.5" wide wheel is also perfectly acceptable for a nothing wider than a 12.50, so a 35 x 12.50 will work just fine on a wheel that width.

If you look along the bottom of the wheel in this pic, you can make out the ledge on the tire that prevents the lip of the wheel from contacting things like curbs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012