GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

240K on a serpentine belt? Yep...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Last Thursday, the serpentine belt broke on my Saturn as I was leaving work. The belt was original and had 240K on it. Sorry no pics, but the belt broke pretty cleanly. Changing it in the parking lot at work was pretty easy with a screwdriver and 3/8" drive ratchet. It was tougher getting the splash shield off with its 6 or 8 push-in plastic rivets than changing the actual belt. On an unrelated note, I brought my car to Chevy to diagnose an issue I'm having with the car bucking when I start from a stoplight.
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

I'm still running the original belt on my Silverado. It's only just now starting to show signs of wear and it's at the top of my "to do" list to replace. But, if I knew I could get 200k miles out of it, then I still have 50k miles of life left in it. My biggest fear is it snapping and leaving me stranded somewhere.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Hmmm
    Going on a trip soon-and I was kinda planning to replace the "fan belt" on the 98 suburban
    Bought it 28,000 miles and 6 years ago-didn't replace the belt-not sure when PO did
    but he was pretty good on maintenance
    Belt "Looks" ok.
    Charlie
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

By no means do I endorse running parts as long as I do, but I have on my car. The car runs 95%+ on the highway at constant speeds with cruise so the engine parts really aren't getting stressed too bad.

Charlie, definitely change your belt if you've never done it before going on that long trip and keep the old one in the truck as a spare. No sense in having it break somewhere and being stranded.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I picked up my 2 belts for about $35.00 2 weeks ago with me getting close to 100K I will be replacing them soon. I see a few cracks.. For now they are in my truck..
  6. The Heater

The Heater New Member

Wow. I replace my serpentine belts on all my vehicles at least every 5 years, minimum, for safety reasons. If it fails in the middle of nowhere, bad news. My truck has had a new one three times now, and it has not rolled over 100,000 miles yet.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Thats great mileage on that belt, you really got lucky it didnt fail.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

I attribute the long life of parts on the Saturn to lots of highway miles and driving it easy with cruise. I rarely get on it hard. But, it did fail on me, it just took forever to do so. Luckily I had someone nearby that was able to bring me a replacement belt and tools to change it with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a professional idiot and do stupid things like run parts for far past their expected lifespans. Do not try this at home!
  9. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

i had to take the batteries out of my mag-light and use the thing as leverage on the end of the ratchet... those idle pulleys pull that belt TIGHT!!!
    lol

always keep some tools in your car!