1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2500 and 2500HD

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sierra11, Jul 18, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the difference between 2500 6.0 and 2500HD 6.0? I have just the 2500 and my friend has the HD. His sits alot higher than mine. Both have stock suspension
  2. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

It depends on the years, The HD has a beefier suspension and bigger brakes. My '11 has a HD towing package including a class V hitch set up. Not sure what else differs, I'm pretty sure the 2500 came first then for marketing GM called it the 2500HD
  3. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah I was thinking that about the suspension too. I am wanting to beef it up and maybe add a leaf to the back
  4. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

adding a leaf may make your ride bounce more when empty, I'd consider air bags if you need to stabilize heavy loads or when towing. This will allow you to increase or decrease the air in the bags to taylor your ride.

Your rear end and brakes may be different too, there was another thread about rear ends the other day and an important point was made about beefing up the suspension won't make the rear end heavier duty since the axel, gears, brakes and suspension make up an HD truck. You may want to look at the option of swapping rear axels if you want a heavier duty truck
  5. tparr

tparr New Member

I have a 2003 HD. I was shown the different on the frame. Look around the rear wheel at the frame. The 2500 has bolts holding part of the frame together, the HD is solid - one piece.