1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2500 HD Crew Cab - good for mountain driving?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by alby_09, May 22, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. alby_09

alby_09 New Member

hey,
    i need a good truck for maneuvering in mountains as well as towing a trailer. do you think that this 2500 HD Crew Cab in 4WD (you can see it here:http://www.chevyworktrucks.com/inve...35105/ID_qualitychevroletfleet/UI_detail_new2) will work? or should i get something with rear-wheel drive for the towing. i also want a crew cab because i need to take my family with sometimes. i'm not really sure if i can get everything i want in one package...what do you guys think?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It should do the job,My only question would be what is the size and weight of your Trailer?

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm a big fan of 4 door trucks. I'm always hauling people often enough to make it the right choice. I'm planning on going retro for my next truck though. I'm thinking K30 non-dually. I'm even considering converting it to propane.
    K2500 should tow almost anything. The added weight of the 4wd does reduce your towing capacity so if you are at the limit, you may have to choose 2wd.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  4. alby_09

alby_09 New Member

well i have a two horse trailer that weighs about 2800 lbs and with two horses it goes up to about 5500 lbs. dimensions are about 7' X 15'. we just purchased it though so i've never had experience towing one before.

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 New Member

You can't go wrong with the 2500HD; especially the Duramax. You won't be sorry.

6. route66paul

route66paul Member

What he said.

7. Trask215

Trask215 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't know where you are located but mountain driving is usually on gravel roads and with steep inclines sometimes. I would definetely go with four wheel drive. Loggers around here are always pulling heavy loads in the woods with crew cab chevy's, so I would say it's the way to go. Beside's, if you need to pull off the side of the road for some reason or your trailer veers off, you will want 4wd. Good luck.

8. jtdchevy

jtdchevy New Member

Go with the 2500 crew cab cant lose. :happy:

9. SoCal Chevy

SoCal Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

my uncle has a old suburban with the 3/4 ton setup and 4x4 and he has no problem towing his horse trailer around in all the dirt backroads up there. not sure how similar this is but i hope it helps

10. alby_09

alby_09 New Member

hey great, thanks for all the advice, i'm going out on a test drive tomorrow for the 2500 crew cab. will probably buy!