1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2500 Leaf springs on a 09 1500

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by fxracerx, Jun 18, 2010.

1. fxracerx

fxracerx Member

I am in the tree cutting business. From time to time I am either loaded up with a ton of wood or pulling one of our stump grinders. I need my truck to be able to handle the weight. Last week I ended up running over my mud flap and ripping it off my truck because my truck was riding so low.

So would 2500 leaf springs bolt up to my 09 1500? Or would air bags be better? What else could I do?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For Towing or Heavy loads in the bed of your truck .....Air Bags would be the Better route.....Air Lift and Firestone Ride Rite are the 2 that are mentioned most often.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I couldnt agree more.. The springs will still sag in any level of springs you go with that are OEM. Bags will allow you to retain a nice ride when you are unloaded, and when you need the load ability you have that to. Just make sure you have heavy duty enough tires with that kind of load since the 1500 OEM tires can be a bit on the weak side for loads that large.. a good set of 8 ply heavy load rating tires would be a good idea as well.
  4. fxracerx

fxracerx Member

Ok if I do a air bag setup whats a good tire with a high load rating. There is alot of sand and clay where Im at currently and in the next year I will be moving probably to Omaha, Ne. I want a taller tire and possibly a wider one. I figure more rubber on the road will help. I did run some 35 inch BFG ATs on my lifted truck but they were not a high load rating they did better than my 38 inch boggers in the sand. Also would a leveling kit along with air bags work? This sounds like a newbie question and I am a mechanic but I only do diesel engines and motorcycle engines.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I am biased but i prefer the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo2s... Great tire. For snow as well.