1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2500hd 2wd convert to 4wd

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jiriley, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jiriley

jiriley New Member

Hi all, this is my first time. i have a 2003 chevy 1500hd 4wd i also have a full rolling 2004 2500hd 2wd chassis with 6 inch lift and complete 8.1L motor with allsion tranny. both trucks are crew cab short beds. i want to put my body on the 2500hd frame. i also want to transfer the 4wd from my truck to the new truck is it possible and what do i need to do. i have all the time to complete this swap. thanks

2. jiriley

jiriley New Member

The reason i have the rolling chassis was i was going to take the 6 inch lift off the 2500HD and move in onto my 1500HD. then i was going to sell the motor and tranny but i buddy of mine at the chevy dealership here suggested why not put my cab and body on the 2500hd and transfer the 4wd.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Transfering the 4x4 suspension will be almost impossible, it's IFS which makes it a very hard swap.
    The frame and suspensions of those trucks dont have much in commom or swapable being one is a 2wd 2500 and the other is a 4x4 1500.

4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you have the money, and lots of it, this thing is possible. But only if you are going for a totally unique vehicle and are willing to pay for it. Otherwise, it's really not worth your time or investment.