2500hd rear wheel bearing seal keeps going bad

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by o3gerber, May 24, 2011.

1. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok I have a 2002 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0, It has a 6in lift with 35in tires. I changed the passenger side rear wheel bearing seal three times in the past 6 months. I replaced both inner and outer bearings each time they where bad. After a couple weeks of driving it starts to leak rear end fluid, it is a full floating axel. Once it starts to leak i keep the rear end full of fluid to prevent the bearings from going. I installed everything correctly each time and made sure that it is fully seated onto the spindel. I have checked the area where the seal mates with the spindel and there is no sign of roughness or burs. I eye balled the axel and it seems to be straight. I have run out of ideas, does any one have any ideas or have ever heard of a problem like this?
    thanks

2. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you made sure your differential vent tube isn't plugged?

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm gonna guess you off-road this truck, if the vent tube isnt plugged is it possible you bent an axle shaft or axle tube?

4. o3gerber

yeah that was another thing that i checked was the vent tube, i could blow thru it so i figured it was good. I have never really done any serious off roading with the truck, i just take it thru a little mud once and a while

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I did a while back. bent axle.

6. o3gerber

could you tell it was bent? im sick of dealing with it so im gonna get a new axel and hub from the pick a parts and see what happens

7. j cat

when the axle was pulled out the bearing area on the axle looked uneven where the wear marks where , then the axle was checked to see if it was bent and right at the bearing area this is were it was damaged. the axle was leaking on the brakes. after that I never had any leaks. I only had a slight vibration prior to this axle being bent. I was hit slightly in an accident. I guess it hit just right , to throw the axle off. the rim was not damaged or tire. so these axles are soft.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How are you setting the bearing pre-load?

9. j cat

bearing preload is the carrier pinion bearing . that should not change unless the diff was rebuilt. I leave that to those who do these diff rebuilds often.

axle seal/bearing is simple r/r.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pinion bearing preload is pinion bearing preload. Wheel bearing preload is different. Same idea, different bearings. The wheel bearings on a full floater are two tapered roller bearings, like pinion bearings and older style front wheel bearings. They need to be preloaded according to the specific procedure. If his bearings are not tight enough, that could cause the hub to wobble and wear the seal.

BTW, pinion and carrier are two different things.