1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2500HD Steering Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lewisb13, Oct 26, 2009.

1. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

So I just got this new truck from my father-in-law and drove it about 300 miles yesterday (2500HD 2004 model). I have tried searching this and havent had any luck. Im new to the forum so HELLO to all! :great: Anyways, when Im braking AND turning to the right, theres seems to be a flat spot in the steering once the steering wheel is rotated about 45 degrees. Any thoughts? Ive heard something about a safety mechanism and grease?
  2. mattpresley

mattpresley New Member

I have this issue is well. My balljoints are shot, powersteerings on its last leg and I need an alignment. however mine is an absolute mess! there may be other problems(im sure there is) that I havnt diagnosed. Your issue can be caused by numerous issues. On my Ranger my only issue is I need to replace my upper arms due to a rubber component wearing(actually more weathering). The Ranger drives similar to your silverado except the front tires are experiencing interior wear. maybe if you have tread wear issues it may be arms which my Ranger was just quoted for $600 t replace.
  3. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

Man I sure hope nothing is flat wore out. The truck only has 20,9xx miles on it. My father in law was saying something about there being grease in the steering column somewhere. I might have to go ahead and take it into the dealer. Like you're saying it could totally be an A arm or something. Thanks for the comments, Im gonna have a heck of time figuring this one out I think. :great:
  4. HDSilveradoDave

HDSilveradoDave New Member

Look on the Write Ups - How to forum for a discussion and fix of the steering shaft problem. Good Luck!
  5. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

Hey thanks for your help! :glasses: