26s need leveling kit?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Fellersen, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Fellersen

Fellersen New Member

Im looking to put 26 inch rims on my 05 Silverado 1500 and i was curious do i need to put a leveling kit on? If so is there a suggested brand that people like or is there a "Fan Favorite" of leveling kit? Looking for some help thanks!

2. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

what size tires? if your running rubber bands....and with 26's your kinda stuck with em, you should be fine anything under 32" tall should clear depending on the width of the rire

3. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will also need larger rotors.........if you want to stop anyway :) You can drive on stock brakes but your going to go through brakes quickly and your braking distances will change! Ahhh heck its just plain dangerous....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Ready Lift. Best leveling kit out there.

Also, look at upgrading the braking system. Also, expect to spend a lot of money at your local Service Department or Repair Shop replacing IFS parts due to the stress on your front end.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The rim diameter has no impact on the issues in this discussion - clearance, brakes, suspension components.

Tire width/diameter do though...

6. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

With a 26 inch comes comes a certain tire diameter implied. Seems like 305/30s are a fairly common size for 26s, and that puts you at around 33.2 inches worth of tire, so yes you will have issues with fitment. But why bother lifting it? If you are throwing 26s on it, the point of the truck is to look more street-style right, and lifting it...just seems like its going to look terrible. Put 22s on and drop it, will fill the fender wells better and be a lot cheaper too.

7. racekid91

Really?

Not only is that a 33inch tire, but it puts a strain on the already weak IFS. 26's are HEAVY. That's a lot of rolling force for IFS to handle. To me, it's like running 37inch tall tires on a IFS set up. It's plain stupid.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does anyone have a weight for a typical 26" rim?

9. racekid91