285/75/16 on 6.5" wide wheel

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by kgibson181, Jul 31, 2009.

1. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Was just down at the shop ordering my new terra grapplers and saw this guy getting 285/75/16's put on a slim looking wheel. Asked him how wide the wheel was and he said 6.5. With the approved rim width for those tires being at least 7.5" is that a good setup to run?

2. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I wouldnt do it on my truck! but maybe my neighbors truck of course I hate him!LOL I wouldnt really recommend this to anyone. Im surprised the tire shop was even doing that for him.

3. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

what about the thin wheel and wide tire makes it bad? Does the bead just not hold or something? Just curious.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

285/75/16 on 6.5 wide wheel

When mounted on a undersize wheel the tire sidewalls are pulled in and the tire tread surface looks rounded instead of flat. So the tire will wear out on the center, if youlower the air pressure to make the center flat than the tire is under inflated which creates heat and wear the tire faster or can blow out. Theres a reason tire manufactures have tire/wheel recommedations,safety.