2nd broken shock in a month!

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by zachh1020, May 30, 2010.

1. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello everyone.

About a month ago, I was hearing a clunking when I hit bumps. So I look when I get to work and and my front driver side shock has broken apart at the joint. I went in and had it replaced. Yesterday I heard that noise again and thought maybe the one on the other side had broken. I look once again and the new shock bolt and rubber bushing is missing, the stud on the top is bent and I looks like it is very close to coming apart at the joint.

What could have caused this twice in about a month? I pretty much only drive on the highway to work and back and occasionally on a smooth gravel road to a friends house. Nothing crazy or off road. Hell, the shock is still so clean, I would eat off it. No mud!

Any help is appreciated!
    Zach

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Over tightening? Under Tightening?

3. zachh1020

Could have been under-tightened. After I got my truck back, I found a socket closed in the hood the same size needed for the shock bolt, almost as if they hadn't tightened yet. Just finger tight then forgot.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Do you have a lift or leveling kit?? If so are the shocks the correct length???

5. zachh1020

Torsion bars are cranked about 1.5in in the front. They have been for over a year. Its kinda strange if it would be causing problems just now.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

YEah it is odd but a longer shock might solve your problem..

7. zachh1020

I'm having my torsion bars taken back down. I noticed the difference in the ride and it had bothered me for a year. I want a mostly smooth ride back.

8. armandjones82

armandjones82 New Member

Try to find a durable GM Truck Parts, particularly on your shock. Researching on that kind of part can cause you to have a more time to look for products that are suitable for your truck. I think when you find the right shock for your truck, that would gradually help you to consume more and spend less in your truck parts!:)