1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2nd Gear Start

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by DeadHead, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DeadHead

DeadHead New Member

Alright, so my mechanic buddy is working on the used car lot he works part-time for and comes across a mid 90's Camaro with a 6 cyl and an automatic trans. On the dash he noticed a button that has baffled us both. He saw a button that said "second gear start." Now I am wondering, what the heck is that button for?! Anyone?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Traction control. well Gms early idea of it. using second gear is like ridding the clutch to get off the line it allows the motor to lug rather than increase the RPMS quickly..
    Not very useful i might add...
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Or, at least, not useful very often. I like the 2nd gear start when it's slick out because it reduces the torque to the wheels which reduces the chance of spinning out.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

on the hills here in Duluth it doesnt help if nothing else it makes it worse because they are so steep that you really cant feather the throttle in second it simply wont move..
  5. DeadHead

DeadHead New Member

Ahhh, that makes some sense. Atleast as much sense as a good portion of GM's eletrical ideas make... Thanks for the answers!
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

X2 what Murdog said. I had NO CLUE, so I called a friend @ GM sales & he said the same thing.