1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2wd Chevy 1500 winter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Kurtrice, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Kurtrice

Kurtrice New Member

I'm looking to buy a 95 1500 with 2wd. How much worse is 2wd in the winter? I live in NE Ohio. It can get bad in the winter. I've had a 4 cyl 2wd s10 and it could be scary in the snow.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I live in Michigan, I had a 98 sonoma 2wd and never had any issues with it in the snow. I slid into a ditch one time, but was able to put my foot out of the door and rock myself out. I also a had a 2002 silverado that was 2wd. I only had a hard time after I messed up the G80 locker in the rear end. If the 1995 that you are looking at has a locker or posi and you know how to drive in snow you should not have any problems.
  3. Kurtrice

Kurtrice New Member

Thanks. Yeah between work and college I have to drive quite a bit. I just wasn't sure of how it would do in the winter.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The best secret weapon Ive ever used in the winter was a couple bags of sand in the bed behind the wheel wells, when you finally run out of traction then youve still got sand to help out.
  5. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

good tires, a posi of some sort in the rear and tons of weight in the bed and you'll be fine.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Make sure you've got good tires. Even in 2wd with weight on the rear.