1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2wd in the snow, how do i get chains?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by K3b!n, Dec 6, 2010.

1. K3b!n

K3b!n New Member

Hey guys im new here and i had a question. I recently moved a bit north and will be heading up to the snow to go snowboarding now ALOT, only thing is that i have a 2wd truck and dont really have much experience in the snow. My question is how/where can i get chains or preferably cables for my tires? I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd with a 6" RCD Lift on Procomp XTerrain A/T's sz. 305-65. Any tips/advice anyone can offer on how to drive in the snow i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys! Oh and might i say that we have some real good looking trucks rolling around from what i can see in the gallery forum:glasses:
  2. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 New Member

we just got 50" of snow in the ppast 2 days
    this is my first winter with a rwd vehicle

i have 4 bf goodrich winter slalom ksi(key snow & ice) winter tires
    and 276lbs of sand between the wheel wells in the bed

so far i haven't gotten stuck anywhere
    but i had 2 close calls going up some steep hills
    the first one i was on a small/medium incline at a red light and with the wheel pointed straight my tires would just spin
    i cranked the wheel all the way left, tapped the gas then cranked the wheel all the way right and all of the sudden got grip

2nd close call was up another small incline turning right to another incline
    i didn't get stuck but took about 15-20 seconds to complete the turn so i waited till there was pretty much zero oncoming traffic so i wouldn't hold them up

but going through deep snow i haven't had issues
    this pic was taken today, took 10 mins to clean all the snow off but just put the truck in drive and it just creeped out of the snow and tires spun a little because the path wasn't plowed - but i never got stuck :glasses:
    156299_478280163675_501883675_5587931_6195084_n.jpg

heres some more pics of the snow :shocked:
    63170_478175513675_501883675_5586761_7302125_n.jpg

68579_478175323675_501883675_5586758_3940468_n.jpg
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

LOL Jordan, doesn't look like you needed to add any weight today! You've got a whole bed full of it.

K3b, you should be able to get tire chains from just about any tire stores in your area. They all sell them. I would throw between 400 & 500 lbs of weight in the bed of your truck for the best traction.
  4. Z-71

Z-71 Member

I have also added four 70 pound bags of sand between my wheel wells and I have no trouble in 2 wheel drive.As a matter of fact I haven't used 4 wheel drive yet.You could also get a set of snow tires if you wanted.
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

x3! weight in the back and drive slow. Unless you wanna have fun!! Haha
  6. K3b!n

K3b!n New Member

Jordan WOW thats ALOT of snow!!! youve got all the extra weight youll need in the bed from the snow! Im pretty stoked cause mammoth and tahoe have been getting DUMPED on, its gonna be a good season.

I thought of adding the extra weight only thing is that ill be drive from san jose ca up to the mountains (tahoe or mammoth) and was worried that the extra weight would kill the already very low mpg on the trip up. Thats why i thought chains ay be the way to go, that way i can just throw em on when and if i needed em. im going to start checking at some local tire stores tomorrow but does anyone know of any online sites that sell chains/cables for my big mudders?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. stephan

Yes, definitely use chains when you need them. There are a lot of passes that they won't let you cross without chains if the snow's bad enough. I use chains AND the weight in the back.
  8. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

Yep its not to hard! I've never known anyone to use chains to be honest. They are just kind of a hassle.
  9. stephan

LOL NTbush, never used chains? Why? Just take your gf along to put them on for ya.
    No muss, no fuss, no hassel.
  10. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Depending on where you live chains may not be legal. They are 100% gonna get you a ticket here in MN. when i had 2wd here in northern MN, i ran good tires, and a soft foot, and never had a problem just remeber weight is good.. ME i always had my sled in the back and that was 500lbs so i never really had a problem. And we have some Wicked hills here in Duluth and mine was a stick.. Just remeber to not jump on the throttle..