1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2wd to 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 99ta350, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 99ta350

99ta350 New Member

I've got a 98 cheyenne regular cab. With the 4.3. Im wanting to make it 4wd. Any one ever do it this and have some insight on parts ill need and cost. Any input will be great
  2. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

its very complicated, ive seen it done before but you might wanna ditch the IFS stuff and just do solid axle swap, So much easier, they do it alot on x-treme 4x4. but its VERY costly, your looking at the 3-6 thousand range
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 on what Shadow said. In most cases it is cheaper and easier to sell what you got and buy a 4x. It can be done. You need a transfer case that will mate up to your transmission. If one doesn't bolt right up you could call advanced adapters to have an adapter made. A front drive shaft, a front axle that has the diff in the proper location (if you go with a solid front axle) and I am sure I am missing a few things. Again it is doable just not cheap.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

5. chico

chico New Member

Not a good choice for you,it's a lt's of work and and money and to be honest not worth it unless your truck is an absolute pristine shortbox,another downside is with the 4.3 not a good choice for a 4x4,your best option would be sell your truck and find a decent rebuildable 4x4.
  6. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

+1 on what he said.
  7. 99ta350

99ta350 New Member

The thing is the money isn't my issue. I only have 600 in the truck. I've also got a 350 vortec complete with he computer and wire harness.
  8. project86

project86 Member

Find a truck close to the same year that has a good frame and four wheel drive. I bought an old truck with a bad transmission, swapped the body and everything else that wanted. Not the same year range but I've got 300 bucks in it plus my own personal wrench time.
  9. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

X2. Hell, if you can find the same exact truck, you can practically swap EVERYTHING over.