1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2wd traction..

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by udontknowjack, Apr 13, 2010.

1. udontknowjack

udontknowjack New Member

what can i do to improve traction mild offroad in my 2wd truck? behind all terrain tires?

i do 70% hwy 20% city and 10% off road ..... without trading in my truck to get a 4wd.....is there anything else i can do to improve my off road traction?
  2. ionspeedracer

ionspeedracer New Member

My daughter had the same issue...

2wd pick up - I built a wood frame from 2 x 4s that had pockets to hold a 70 lb sandbag over each tire. Messes with your mileage a little, but she never slid out over the snowy winter!
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Try dropping your tire pressure when you go off road, this gives you a bigger foot print and better traction.
    Try being easier on the gas pedal.
    And learn how to use the P brake to make the tire with the most traction spin instead of the tire with the least.
  4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

Ive never heard of the parking brake trick but im gona have to try it.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it may be worth it for you to install a limited slip diff in your rear axle. Or you can go all out and get a full locker. that means that both tires will always have power
  6. Big75

Big75 New Member 100 Posts

auto locker in the rear. $250 - $300 works great on the street and locks up nicely off road.
  7. udontknowjack

udontknowjack New Member

more info on this please.....maybe link....this sounds great.....
  8. udontknowjack

udontknowjack New Member

you and me both buddy....
  9. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member 100 Posts

i have the same problem... i have an 09 2wd with nitto terra grapplers and i get stuck everywhere it seems like... got stuck in a gravel pit last weekend... barely pulled in the entrance to go fishing and wen tto leave and it wasnt thick at all i just started spinning... ive been stuck in someone's front yard, in a small sandy ditch, many other places n have only been driving since july... wish i would have spent the extra on the 4x4...

i already have the limited slip diff and i dont find it help too good...
  10. Big75

Big75 New Member 100 Posts

http://rockcrawler.com/techreports/powertrax_tj/index.htm

Here's your link... I use a powertrax in the rear of my truck and an aussie locker in the front. The basic Idea is the locker stays locked all the time until you take a turn. At that time the outside wheel frees up so not to wear on tires and driveline. these things are designed to give 100% power split between the wheels. they do make a clunk sound when engaging/disengaging nothing to worry about. costs less than an air locker, wont chew up the tires like a full locker, and posi is made to stay on the streets SERIOUSLY.