1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2WD with G80 locking diff vs 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by jd4, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jd4

jd4 Member

Any opinions on whether a 2WD Sierra with a locking diff would be ok in 4-5 snowstorms/year of about 6" or so vs a full 4WD Sierra? Thanks
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

properly weighted 2wd should do you ok. but you never know when you might get that 18' dumper.

Alex
  3. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

I had 4 solid concrete blocks in a 2x6 rack I made using the handy dandy slots in the bedliner. Had them sitting over the axel almost, just a C-hair behind and rarely put my truck in 4wd in the city/ on road. even when it was bad storms it would be fine unless it was just plain old black ice, then the 4x4 was needed.

Just make sure you don't have crap tires on the back, cause you're puttin all your luck on 2 wheels gettin you through.
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

When I had my 2wd, I put four, 60lb tube type of sandbags over the wheel wells (got them at Home Depot for about $4.00 each) and it got me around pretty good in snow when it wasn't too deep. My major problems were with ice, especially after the melting snow started to re-freeze at night. I am much happier with my 4wd, as now I don't have the hassle of having to lug 240lbs of sand with me everywhere, and there has not been one snow storm or blizzard that has kept me home. I think you'd be okay with a 2wd but will much happier with a 4wd, if snow and traction is your major concern.

Just out of curiosity, what are the cons for you not to get the 4wd given it seems like you have a choice?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2wd with a G80 driven with care should be sufficient for most minor snow storms.
    Even though I have 4wd on my truck I rarely use it during winter snow storms, whenever we get snow I toss bags of play sand in the very back of the bed to help with traction and if I have real bad traction problems I can pull out a bag or two and spread it on the road surface.
    I learned a long time ago that while 4wd is great to have if you dont know how or when to use it properly it can creat more problems than it solves, which usually means getting you in a lot deeper where you require someone else to pull you out instead of being able to get yourself out.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A 2wd with any kind of locking diff will never keep up with a 4wd for winter driving. But that doesn't mean you can't live with 2wd for a few storms a year. Buy some very good quality snows like Hakkapalitta, at least for the rear. MasterCraft MSRs are also very good, a little cheaper. If studs are allowed in your area, run them.
  7. DSKMAN

DSKMAN New Member

I have a stock 2002 2wd silverado and i live in southern Wisconsin so snow is a big problem for us here and most days in winter i cant even get up my driveway. This last year i was so lazy i didnt even put anything in the bed so i dont know how i survived without sliding into a ditch and plus i have wildcat touring slt tires that customers reviewed and said they have the worst snow and wet road traction ever so that doesnt help. i need some different tires.
  8. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Member

As mentioned the problem with any truck is not having weight over the drive wheels. Limited slip helps but so does a couple of sandbags. The advantage of 4WD is having the front drive wheels pulling the vehicle instead of the rear wheels pushing it. A car with front wheel drive has always gotten me through any amount of snow.
  9. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

2wd would do fine as long as you have some nice rubbers in the back. No slicks, when texas had that winter storm last feburary where it snowed like 2 feet, I was in my silverado with 31 A/T tires in the front and back and It drove almost like the snow wasnt even there, even in 2wd. It's all about the tires IMO. You can have a 4wd with slicks and get stuck in 1 inch of snow and ice
  10. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

4WD is vastly superior to any 2WD setup in deep snow. I have an '07 with the Eaton locker and it's marginal in anything over 3 inches. I elected to get the G80 because I fish a lot and need it on some ramps. I am fairly happy with it but there's nothing better in deep snow than 4X4 or chains. 4X4 has a special advantage in that the front wheels do not plow when turned like on a 2WD, they just pull. As a note, if you weight the bed with anything put it as close to the tailgate as you can. The weight value is multiplied by the distance rearward from the drive wheels. Far forward is worst, over the wheels gets you no mechanical advantage, distance aft multiplies the weight.