2x4 changed to 4x4?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by trenchwarfare, Oct 30, 2007.

1. trenchwarfare

trenchwarfare Rockstar 100 Posts

How hard would this be? I will be doing it in a few years, as my truck is mint from Texas compared to the salt ridden plow subs of New York. Other than a tranny and new front end what would I need?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How much do you plan to offroad the truck and how attached are you to the truck?

Theres lots of work involved just in the axle/spring placement, setting up the steering, aligning and supporting the transfer case, swap transmissions, have driveshafts made, install the transfer case computer (depending on the year truck you have).
    If your not a skilled builder this would be a huge undertaking and would take months of work, or lots of $$ if you let a shop do the work.

Two recomendations:

Sell you present truck and buy a 4x4. Usually the least expensive route.
    Or
    Buy a wrecked 4x4 with a good frame and drivetrain and swap your body on to it. This particular swap could be done much easier than trying to build a 2x4 into a 4x4 and if you shop around for the wrecked donor you can usually get a good price.

I've built 4x4's from 2x4's, swapped 2x4 bodies to 4x4 chassis, and built a few 4x4's from the ground up, by far the easiest is to buy a good running 4x4, the next best method is to replace a wrecked body with your good body on a 4x4 chassis.

3. trenchwarfare

I do plan on doing this in a few years when I have the cash. I might just swap bodies. I might also throw in a diesel. I definately plan on ripping out the computer.

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I definitely agree with Tim on this. This is one of those situations where it sounds simple enough in theory, until you actually start the job.

Before I read Tim's suggestion, I was going to recommend a rolling 4x4 chassis, and swap the body. easiest, and still gives you the feeling of acomplishment without all the grief and headache.

5. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

Best advice keep yours "Mint" save your $$$ then sell it and buy what you want. No truck is worth being that attached to, you have no clue the head aches you will be taking on!

6. trenchwarfare

Actually it is worth it. I have yet to see a Suburban before a '91 that isn't rotted out. The whole truck hasn't one spot of rust on it.

7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

go west tons of them - this is alot of work for the back yard mechanic---i done a few as well---- much easier to sell current and get what you want----the dmv paperwork can be a pain to swap motors and bodies since the vin is on the body parts as well as the frame....but it is your money and time so do as you wish and post pictures so others can follow along and see if they wish to follow you...mike