1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by abone327, Feb 5, 2011.

1. abone327

abone327 New Member

I have a 94 sierra 2x4 with a 350 that I would like to convert to a 4x4. Would I be able to bolt on an identical year 4x4 set up?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The quick answer is no. The frontend components on the IFS 4x4 are welded to the frame.

A solid axle swap is doable though. Search for SAS or SFA swap to get some ideas.
  3. abone327

abone327 New Member

Does anyone know the specifics on the axles that will work and what vehicles would be compatible.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Your better off selling your truck and buying a 4X4. Cheaper in the long run.
  5. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

I had a real nice 69 C1500 some years back that I wanted to convert to 4wd. I bought a 68 K1500 with some body damage. Then I swapped the cabs & beds. It was not that difficult, we used a stinger crane to do the lifting. If I remember right the wiring just unplugged at several connectors. I had to modify the floor pan to accept the 4wd shifter. As I recall All the body & bed mounts lined up just fine. So I ended up with a real nice truck (which I wish I still had). I was able to sell the 2wd truck for what I had in it. So all in all it worked out great. Only problem was the VIN's did'nt match the chassis's. You would have to check to see if you could do this with your series of truck.

Good luck with your project.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The job is doable but depending on how much fabrication experience you have you could end up with a truck that cost far more to build than you would've spent to buy the truck you want.
    I've converted quite a few 2x4's to 4x4 and 4x4 IFS trucks to solid axle, it's quite a job and theres a lot of work that has to be done to get it right, more than one builder has screwed up the process and made a good truck into the worst handling beast you'll ever experience.
    The other option is to farm the work out to a reputable shop with experience, but that'll cost a lot too.
  7. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

hell of alot easier to buy a 4x4 man... i was really contemplating it myself... not worth the time or money im telling you, i bought my 3/4 ton with 4x4 and i love it a lot better than my 2wd any day
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I will just say buy a 4x4
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Definitely easier to just buy a 4x4 platform, either in the form of a whole new truck, or a wrecked 4x4 that you can transfer your body onto. I also would like to convert my Suburban to 4x4, but it's quite a tall order to get done. This Extreme 4x4 episode gives a pretty good overview on the steps needed to do a solid axle swap (SAS).

http://www.powerblocktv.com/video/?ep_num=XT2011-03&ep_show=XT

It's episode XT2011-03 if the link doesn't work. They took a 4x4 Blazer with an IFS front end and dropped a solid axle in the front. The steps are generally the same for converting a 2wd to 4wd.