1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.08 vs 3.42 Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sjcmisc, Mar 5, 2014.

1. sjcmisc

sjcmisc New Member

Unfortunately realized today the difference of the two and the towing limits. Chevy could do a better job of explaining the difference to unsuspecting public.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yeah I dont think a truck has any business having 3.08's in it..In my opinion.. the 3.42 gearing is the highest the gears should go. Ive got 3.42's and with the 35" tires I have its a dog... Got 4.56 gears sitting in the box waiting to be installed.. Hopefully soon.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

GM is ultimately at fault for the gearing but unfortunately its a side affect of CAFE numbers their forced to produce by the federal goverment.
    I suspect GM also assumes truck buyers will be knowledgeable of certain things when buying a truck they have specific plans for, like towing.
    For most run of the mill truck buyers that'll never carry more than a few passengers or grocerys those gears will work fine. Keep in mind trucks have replaced the family sedan in many homes now days, not because they need a truck but because they want a big roomy transporter that they might some day put something in the bed of.
  4. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

What year model truck and transmission do you have? This will be a BIG killer on the gear ratio also... I couldn't imagine a 6l60e trying to keep a steady speed up the slightest grade with 3.08's. I'm assuming its a 4l60e though since I don't remember nnbs offering 3.08s.
  5. the phantom

Yeah I know someone with a 2011 with I believe the 4.8 liter in it and has the 6 speed with 3.08's. Says he can get 21 mpg.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i can get 21 mpg with the 5.3, 3.42s and a 6 speed. granted I have some work done, but still.

sad part was I had to specify that I wanted the 3.42s, the dealer was gonna sell me a truck with 3.08s.

Alex
  7. the phantom

Wasn't the trucks with the 3.42's called the All Star Edition or something like that. Thats what mine is and I thought that was one of the features of that Edition.. I could be wrong its been a couple years since I looked at my window sticker
  8. Sierraowner5.3

maybe in the silverados... my sierra i think its maybe part of the power tech package???? not sure really, I just specified what I wanted for options, didnt care what package it came with (Z71 excepted of corse)

Alex
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

All Star Edition Silverado's come with 3.42's because the Z87 (I think thats GM's trlr pkg designation) trailer package is a part of the All Star package.
    Along with the locking r/r diff and a few other items.
  10. Sierraowner5.3

i dont have the paper work anymore( threw it out when i moved) but the dealer in virginia gave me a bunch of print outs showing just what you could and couldnt tow and haul based upon what options you had.

im fairly certain the K5L package meant the heavy duty haul setup. tranny cooler, heavier hitch, 3.42s and so on. I could be wrong tho. something I half remember.

Alex