1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3/4 ton torsion key on a 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bigbluesub, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub New Member

Greetings All,
    I saw a truck yesterday that had some 285 tires on it. It looked like a lot of rubber! The front clearance looked close but it had plenty of room in the rear. I asked the guy if he had any lift work done. He said all he had done was install some Torsion Keys from a 2500 truck. Is that something that is being done?
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

285,s will fit without raising the torsion bars any . If you go any bigger can use bars to lift up to 2" any over this
    Will mess with alignment.
    Is that forest hills N C? if so i used to live there when i was a kid.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. bigbluesub

bigbluesub New Member

No, I'm in Maryland. Apparently there is a Forest Hill in many states, cause I hear that alot........
  4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

You can use 3/4 ton keys but as mentioned, you will need an alignment afterwards. Not sure how they compare to adding height to just a regular leveling kit to your truck. I know for a fact that the 03-06 trucks can run 33's without a leveling kit since I ran with that setup for a year with minimal rubbing daily driving, but just comparing my dads 2000 to mine, his seems to ride a little lower and would be skeptical if he could run bigger than 265's without some rubage on stock.

Also remember that when you go up a tire size, you will need to recalibrate your speedo.
  5. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2002 silverado, and had 285/75r16 with stock height. Didn't crank the torsion bars at all. Upgraded to 33x12.50r18 and i had rubbing issues. AS for the torsion keys, the 2500 will fit the 1500, but if you want to cheap out, buy torsion keys off of a stock early 2000's F150 from a junk yard, they fit and have an offset to raise the truck around 3".
  6. TnT817

TnT817 New Member

Won't cranking up the torsion bars wear out the front end a lot faster because of the cv and ball joint angles?
  7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

Yes. And because you can't have less than 10 letters in a post, I will say "Yes" again....along with all the rest of that.