3/4 ton torsion key on a 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bigbluesub, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Greetings All,
    I saw a truck yesterday that had some 285 tires on it. It looked like a lot of rubber! The front clearance looked close but it had plenty of room in the rear. I asked the guy if he had any lift work done. He said all he had done was install some Torsion Keys from a 2500 truck. Is that something that is being done?

2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

285,s will fit without raising the torsion bars any . If you go any bigger can use bars to lift up to 2" any over this
    Will mess with alignment.
    Is that forest hills N C? if so i used to live there when i was a kid.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

No, I'm in Maryland. Apparently there is a Forest Hill in many states, cause I hear that alot........

4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

You can use 3/4 ton keys but as mentioned, you will need an alignment afterwards. Not sure how they compare to adding height to just a regular leveling kit to your truck. I know for a fact that the 03-06 trucks can run 33's without a leveling kit since I ran with that setup for a year with minimal rubbing daily driving, but just comparing my dads 2000 to mine, his seems to ride a little lower and would be skeptical if he could run bigger than 265's without some rubage on stock.

Also remember that when you go up a tire size, you will need to recalibrate your speedo.

5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2002 silverado, and had 285/75r16 with stock height. Didn't crank the torsion bars at all. Upgraded to 33x12.50r18 and i had rubbing issues. AS for the torsion keys, the 2500 will fit the 1500, but if you want to cheap out, buy torsion keys off of a stock early 2000's F150 from a junk yard, they fit and have an offset to raise the truck around 3".

6. TnT817

TnT817 Member

Won't cranking up the torsion bars wear out the front end a lot faster because of the cv and ball joint angles?

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yes. And because you can't have less than 10 letters in a post, I will say "Yes" again....along with all the rest of that.