1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3/4 ton transfer case leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by meash20, Apr 13, 2009.

1. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

It seems I've developed a leak with the transfer case on my 03 3/4ton 'burban.

The mechanic I took it too says that there's a pin hole near where the oil pump rocks around inside. He says they've seen this a few times with the 3/4 trucks....

He's suggesting that we replace the transfer case. ...

My questions:

a) is this really happening to 3/4 ton trucks?

b) It seems to me that you'd just replace the part of the case that's broken

c) please give me your opinions on this! He's telling me $2300 for a new case...

-matt-
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have seen that problem before. The case half can be repaired but it requires a disassembly in order to make the repair. Most shops will sell an overhaul but the case can be welded and there's a repair case saver that can be added after the repair to prevent this from happening again.
  3. Jimmiee

4. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

So I've seen the tiny little hole in the case... Sure-nuf ... its from the damn vibration. It sure sux that GM never did a recall on this.

Gonna end up costing me a bout $1200 to have it fixed...

I'm not too happy!

-me-
  5. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Thanks for the link... Guess I'll investigate adding it? I doubt the GM shop will install it eh'
    -me-
  6. Jimmiee

I would call several transmission shops and get an estimate on a repair. As long as you didn't run the transfer case out of oil it should not need to be rebuilt.
  7. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

So just a little bit ago, I used some JB Weld on the "tiny" little hole. I'm pretty sure that this thing would manage just a repair of the "problem" clip.

I'm wondering what the least expensive way to get this resolved is.

Guess, its best to call around eh'... When I was at the GM dealer, they mentioned that there are a few seals to replace rear/front drive shafts...

How big of a job is this...? Is it worth doing on my own? It just seems to me that if you fix the "tiny" hole and resolve the reason the hole is there, the problem should go away?

thoughts from the experts?

-matt-
  8. Jimmiee

Matt,

The hole will continue to get bigger so you need to install the kit. Get a repair manual and see if it's something you could handle yourself. I would say this job is not for beginners and you can miss-assemble to where the transfer case will not work once it's installed.You dont need any special tools but you will need snapring pliars. It helps to know what you're looking at as you may have some other parts that need attention while you're inside there. The seals are easy to change and should be changed. If you're not sure then just have a professional do it.
  9. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Cool, I've got the service manual already, so this is something thats of interest to me.. I do realize it will get bigger, if left alone...

ARG! I guess I have 2 options

1) do it all myself

2) tear it out, and then seek help ;)

-matt-
  10. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Today I will find out if the JB Weld will hold the fluid in. Assuming it does, I'll next need to find some to resolve the rub problem.

I'm not sure I see a reason to replace the whole case for a tiny little pin hole: - <- that big... literally it looks like a dash -

Lets fix the cause, repair the damage and call it a day...

-me-