1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.73 Gears

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Restlessone, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

Hi Guys

I have just enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous, So a question>

What does 3.73 gears mean, I know (or think I know) that that is the gearing in the rear end, but what does that mean to me. I assume it's some sort of compromise since the factiry installed it (them?)

Thanks
    Gord:gasp:
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

3. moosetags

moosetags Rockstar 100 Posts

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

You are correct, the 3.73 is the gearing ratio at the rear differential . Basically with a 3.73 rear end, the drive shaft turns 3.73 times to turn the drive axle one time.

Differential ratio is, in fact, a trade off. The lower the number, the better the gas mileage. The higher the number, the better the torque and power. For instance the new 3.43 rear end in GM trucks gives better gas mileage, but does poorly in the heavy towing department. On the other hand, the 4.10 rear end offered in GM trucks, doesn't door as well in the mpg department, but is excellent and the one haht you want for heavy towing and hauling.
  4. David8790

David8790 Member

Rear Axel Ratio, turns 3.73 times for one turn of the drive.
  5. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

x2

and i think all the 4.8 and 5.3 the only gears offered were, 3.73s and 3.42. I think the yukons and 6.0 models had 4.10s
  6. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

and 3.23, my neighbors cc has that and the 4.8, so di i, but i have a manual
  7. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

3.23....yuck.
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would smash my truck if it came with 3.23s :)

jp
  9. Dale Lake

Dale Lake New Member

My 4.8 has the 4.10, it was the only way I'd buy it. It will tow 8500# (according to the brochure).
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have 3.08s in my Suburban from the factory...beat that. :lol: I will hopefully be swapping them out for 3.73s in the near to mid future.