1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.73 to 4.56 Gear Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I am wanting to swap my 3.73 to a 4.56..I have a site with gear packages and just want to get some feedback to see if yall think its a good deal or not. Also does anyone know what a shop would usually charge to do this swap?

Here is the site/gear package.
    http://www.drivetrainwarehouse.com/PDT291625.aspx
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

looks about right, but I don't know of/ didn't check any of the cheap gear suppliers out there. However, it's right on line with 4wheelparts...
  3. Z71_usmc_rebel

ok, im gonna look at 4wheelparts.com and see what they have to offer..

Should anything else be replaced when swaping gears? the kit comes with master rebuild kit...Is that enough?
  4. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The price is good. Check out accuautoparts.com for a couple more brands if you like. Also a shop will charge in the range of 450-900 to do front and rear.
  5. Z71_usmc_rebel

OK thanks for that price quote...thats my biggest concern i dont want to be getting ripped off when i go to have the gears installed..but i also cant do it myself..lack of experience in that area and lack off time!
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the origin of manufacturer. A few parts houses have been using Chinese manufactured gears and the quality on them has been terrible.
    The master rebuild/install kit should have everything you need to do the job. Before you buy the gears price them out and price out a few shops on install with parts and install without parts. Labor and parts from the shop will usually be the cheaper route, most shops have 2 different labor rates and charge a carry in parts surcharge if you supply the parts.
  7. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i have heard good things about genuine gear. and just the master rebuild kit is all you will need. and the price looks about right too :great:
  8. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i would ask why the small tooth spread? bigger tires or towing......that might not be enough gear......and not worth the money.....mike
  9. Z71_usmc_rebel

Im just looking to put the 6" lift and 35s on when i get home.. Are you saying i should go with a different gear?
  10. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

with 35" tires the 4:56 are the better gear or 4:88s just remember you got to do the front diff too to be able to use 4 wheel drive. this makes gear changes almost 2Xs the cost so a gear change just to change is way to expensive....mike