1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.73 vs 4.10 Gears

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Six point, May 11, 2014.

1. Six point

Six point Member

My 6 liter,3.73 geared, 2500 HD towing a 7500 lb travel trailer struggles on some of the hills around here. How much of an improvement would 4.10 gearing be?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably not a noticeable difference. 3.73 and 4.10 are too close to make it financially worth it. You're looking at around $500 a differential, so it's double if the truck is 4wd. If you wanted to move up for more torque, the next step I'd suggest would be 4.56s. However, that's pretty steep for a stock tire size. For a stock tire, you'd be looking at around a 60mph top speed.
  3. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

I could always tell a slight difference between my 2000 5.3 with 4.10 and my dads 04 with 3.73, but the difference certainly isnt worth a grand to regear.
  4. Six point

Six point Member

Up here,I would think that gear swap would be closer to $1600 plus. Might have to look at some other ways to bump up the power for trailer towing duty.Suggestions?
  5. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

Do you have yearly inspection/emissions?
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Next to Re-Gearing, going with a Custom Tune is an Item to take a Look at for Improving your Trucks Performance......and Black Bear Performance Offers Different Types of Custom Tunes, from thier Mail-Order, to their In-Person Tunes, and last their Live Logging Data Tunes, the AutoCal and EFILive V2 E-Mail Tuning,

Black Bear,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

Going with a Custom Tune, will Yield you the Best Return on Your "Investment".....
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like Mike said a tune on the 6.oh will make a big big difference. And no way the max speed in a truck will be reduced to 60mph by going to a 4.56 gear.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It may be higher on some trucks, but speaking from experience with the military CUCVs which are Chevy diesel pickups with 4.56s and 235/85R16 tires, top speed foot to the floor bouncing off the redline is 60-65mph.
  9. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree if the motor is diesel and its on stock tires a really low gear will bring the top speed way down.

Here is a video of a Silverado with 4.56's and stock tires or maybe even a size smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEN0lYnUXJE
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You should be able to tow between 8,000 and 12,000 lbs

Knowing what you have for a truck would help, but with no info, I'll go with a 4 speed tranny.

You should have a "tow" selector, and you should be able to select 3rd gear.

And, doing this you are still having a problem?