3.73 vs 4.10 Gears

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Six point, May 11, 2014.

1. Six point

Six point Member

My 6 liter,3.73 geared, 2500 HD towing a 7500 lb travel trailer struggles on some of the hills around here. How much of an improvement would 4.10 gearing be?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy has no brakes Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably not a noticeable difference. 3.73 and 4.10 are too close to make it financially worth it. You're looking at around $500 a differential, so it's double if the truck is 4wd. If you wanted to move up for more torque, the next step I'd suggest would be 4.56s. However, that's pretty steep for a stock tire size. For a stock tire, you'd be looking at around a 60mph top speed.

3. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I could always tell a slight difference between my 2000 5.3 with 4.10 and my dads 04 with 3.73, but the difference certainly isnt worth a grand to regear.

4. Six point

Six point Member

Up here,I would think that gear swap would be closer to $1600 plus. Might have to look at some other ways to bump up the power for trailer towing duty.Suggestions?

5. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Do you have yearly inspection/emissions?

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Next to Re-Gearing, going with a Custom Tune is an Item to take a Look at for Improving your Trucks Performance......and Black Bear Performance Offers Different Types of Custom Tunes, from thier Mail-Order, to their In-Person Tunes, and last their Live Logging Data Tunes, the AutoCal and EFILive V2 E-Mail Tuning,

Black Bear,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

Going with a Custom Tune, will Yield you the Best Return on Your "Investment".....

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like Mike said a tune on the 6.oh will make a big big difference. And no way the max speed in a truck will be reduced to 60mph by going to a 4.56 gear.

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy has no brakes Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It may be higher on some trucks, but speaking from experience with the military CUCVs which are Chevy diesel pickups with 4.56s and 235/85R16 tires, top speed foot to the floor bouncing off the redline is 60-65mph.

9. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree if the motor is diesel and its on stock tires a really low gear will bring the top speed way down.

Here is a video of a Silverado with 4.56's and stock tires or maybe even a size smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEN0lYnUXJE

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You should be able to tow between 8,000 and 12,000 lbs

Knowing what you have for a truck would help, but with no info, I'll go with a 4 speed tranny.

You should have a "tow" selector, and you should be able to select 3rd gear.

And, doing this you are still having a problem?