1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3" leveling kit vs. stock torsion keys ???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jlbf0786, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

I bought a 3" leveling kit for my 04' 2500hd and I havent installed it yet.. I was just wondering if this
    aftermarket leveling kit will be any different than what i've got my torsion keys cranked up to now ??
    They're already cranked up all but 1/8" on each side, so will this aftermarket 3" leveling kit do anything more than
    what i've already done myself by tightening the oem torsion keys ??

Some kits claim to be 2", some say 3" .. I bought this kit from eBay for $47.95 and it claims to be 3".
    So what should I really expect from this cheap leveling kit?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Every trucks a little differance. It depends on what torson bars came on the truck. GM makes about 20 differant torson bars, thats why some guys get 1" of lift and others get 3" of lift with torson keys. Becareful of cheaply priced torson bar keys, some are made in China (junk!!).
  3. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

I'm probably gonna need to buy the shock extensions before installing the keys, of course I opted for the cheapest
    torsion keys I could find, $47.00 (cheap!) compared to others.

I cranked up the oem torsion keys pretty much to the max, and you can certainly feel every bump in the road!
    The only rubbing of the tires i'm getting is when I put it in REVERSE and turn the wheel ever so slightly.. It's got some rubbing on the passenger side.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most cheap keys are cast and the more expensive are forged. Can you send the keys back for a refund? Then get a ReadyLift that comes with forged keys and shock extensions.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

One other thing, with the so-called 3" lift keys you end up bottoming out the suspension travel and you can over extend the front CV axle joints causing them to wear or break prematurely. Plus sometimes it will cause the CV boot to pull loose.