1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3" lift kit leveling torsion keys ~ any install info instructions ???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jlbf0786, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

JUST BOUGHT/ORDERED an 3" LIFT KIT LEVELING TORSION KEYS for my 2004 silverado 2500hd 4wd.Can anyone give me any install instructions for these leveling kits (tools needed, duration of install for amateur) ?? etc..I just installed new rims and tires on 285/65R 18 Nitto trail grapplers.. and after some Fender trimming it still rubs a bit.. so i decided it best to order the leveling kit. ONLY $48 + $3.00 EXPEDITED SHIPPING.(HOPEFULLY IT'LL COME THIS WEEK B/C I DIDN'T WANT TO GET THE TRUCK LINED UP UNTIL I HAVE IT INSTALLED ON THE TRUCK) ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED..THANKSJ. BarringerCHARLOTTE NC
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Member

It is not something I wanted to do in my backyard etc. I recommend a shop installing these, my Yukon is the same year so road debris, dirt, salt etc impact the ease or difficulty of installation.

you need to hang or support the truck on the frame rails and let the front end drop [wheels] you have to have a torsion key tool or I have seem others use a modified 6" C clamp ( risk of injury ) & unload the keys, once that is done you slide the torsion bars forward to aid the removal of the keys and place the new ones in & reverse the procedure. However you will also need longer shocks and an alignment too
    My local performace shop charged me 2 hours labor & an alignment or around $150
  3. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

man if I could get it done for $150 then i certainly would !!!
    i've been getting quotes for $400 just for installing the leveling kit.
  4. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

Same scenario with me as well, should I just buy the unloading tool for 150 or let someone install it for the same price
  5. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

Well if you can find someone to put it on for the same price as the unloader tool then def. let them install it !!!
    but theres nowhere near Charlotte NC that will put it on (and include an alignment) for $150
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Its easy to install the keys. Go rent a torson bar release tool.
  7. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

Went to advanced auto, oreilly's, and napa and they all discontinued renting tools because of abuse and people holding onto them for longer periods of time
  8. Brigham

Brigham New Member

I did the torsion keys on my 88 k1500 and all i used was a huge c clamp and it worked great. Just be careful and you should be fine
  9. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

If you drop the upper ball joint you can get the job done with just a c clamp, its a little extra work that will make installing the keys ALOT easier, make sure that you get the correct keys too, i made that mistake and it was a pain in my a** lol