Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

300,000 Ford F-100's Recalled..

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by stephan, Feb 3, 2011.

1. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Just heard on the news that 300,000 Ford F-100s are being recalled for the doors coming open during a wreck/crash. Normally I would be bashing Ford for a recall, but how can any automotive manufacturer keep the doors from coming open during a crash. If the latch mechanism is compromised during the wreck, WTH is there to keep them closed?
    One little striker pin & a simple steel latch isn't much to keep a door closed when you have 5,000-6,000 lbs of mass crashing into something, & wrinkling the frame structure & wadding up the body work. What gives? Why would any auto manufacturer have to be responsible for this?

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If recalled, how do they fix it? Also, what's a F-100, isn't that an old Ford model?

3. stephan

I think it's just a 1/2 ton model Al. Their F-100 is like GMs 1500...

My ques exactly.. "how do they fix it"? How does any manufacturer fix something like this? Weld the doors closed?

4. Jay

Jay Rockstar

You know...in my line of work I have seen literally 100's (probably more) of crashes. 99.9 percent of the time doors that are locked and/or closed during the crash stay closed. In the instances when the impact was great enough to force the door open anyone sitting in that seat is pretty much SOL anyway. With that said I can't myself see how you can rectify that problem...weld em closed is right!! ;)

5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wait so they are recalling old trucks??

6. stephan

They said F-100s on the news Nathan. Are those old trucks? I'm thinking the F-100 is just their version of GMs 1500, but I'm not a Ford expert :) ... ??

7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The F-100's were from like 1953 to the mid to late 60's.

8. stephan

I've been looking on the net for more info Alston, & they show the F-100s up into the 1980s' but everytime I click on F-100 they keep bumping me to a dealer that wants to sell me one.. go figure.... I also don't know why they would be recalling vehicles that are that old.

9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That was when quality was job #2 or maybe #3. :)

10. stephan

LOL Al... When has quality ever been job one?

I just got another news report @ 7 pm & this time the woman said Ford F-150s' not 100s', so that part is cleared up. She also said 365,000 vehicles instead of 300K.