1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

$330 dollar shocks?! each

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dpeter, Oct 11, 2011.

1. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Just sat down to realy investigate some new shocks for my 2000 yukon. I was never sure about what I had and looked up the RPO codes ZW7 and G65- self adjust manual level control and premium smooth ride. $330 each for the rear and $107 each for the front:gasp:.
    My questions are,, was there a big difference in ride and do the self leveling rear realy work all that well and would you swap the high end shocks for good bilsteins or stay stock?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The truck could feel like it was riding on Pamela Anderson and there'd be no way I'd pay $330.00 (each) for shocks. Not happening.
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would go with Bilsteins they are top of the line and I Myself plan getting them on my truck... soon
  4. dpeter

Sooo many ways I would like to respond to Surrealone's answer but think I best leave it be. For the money it may be better to go with good bilsteins and air bags for leveling when needed. Anybody installed air bags in the coils? Thanks for the input rockstarr.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:great: Probably best. I debated posting that but it was too funny not to and didn't seem to violate any rules. As for shocks, I have a 2004 Sierra 1500 with a 6" Fabtech lift and I just replaced all shocks with Bilsteins and wish I'd done it sooner. They are pricey for shocks but the ride quality improvement is worth the coin to me -- and they were far cheaper than $330.00 each.
  6. dpeter

In what way did the ride improve? I am replacing them because I do not think they are doing the job they're supposed to and that is to keep the tires on the road. By example... When braking firmly on a smooth surface it is sure footed and the antilock brakes don't get involved but change that to a bumpy surface and then things get different, the antilock kicks in and stopping in short distances get fun.
  7. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would pay that if Pam Anderson 15 years ago came with them!!!
  8. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

That is way too much money to pay for shocks and you don't even know if they are really good. I would just get some bilstein's.
  9. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

If you search around online you can usually find the oem replacement Bilsteins for about $60 apiece. I put them on my 97 Suburban K1500 and they made a world of difference.