350 or turbo

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by AJ 98 vortec, Mar 12, 2010.

1. AJ 98 vortec

AJ 98 vortec New Member

i have a s10 with a 4.3 liter v6 vortec. it has 147xxx miles on it and my friends are telling me to make it a cyclone[4.3 wit a turbo] but i wanted to drop a 350 in it and just bolt up the tranny i have and just get new motor mounts and do the rest of the work.

wats your opion?

2. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I like the idea of the 350 in it, but I dont really know anything about the v6 turbo to advise which one is better.

3. 2000 silvy

2000 silvy New Member

a turbo'd be alot more original i think especially being as they didnt have syclones in the 2nd gen body style ( they did but wernt turbo) a 350'd be alot less work and doesnt have to be tuned etc like a turbo, so original go turbo like most everyone else 350 not sayin 350's are bad they rip s**t but thats kinda why everyone has one syclone = original still risp s**t as much if not more than a basic 350 and is alot more original but also alot more work

4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Put a 350 in it. A modified 350 will have way more low end than a turbo'd v6 and theres more horsepower potential in a 350 than in a v6.

5. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

There is no replacement for displacement. Throw a turbo on a v6 it may be faster than a stock v8 but throw the same set up on a v8 and get even more power. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would put in the 350 and then get a supercharger.....turbo lag is the main reasoning for that opinion.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just understand that the Cyclone/Typhoon is not just a stock 4.3 with a turbo and intercooler thrown on it. To get the power they had to heavily modify the internals and tranny. That 4.3 was a crazy motor and was built with the duribility to run it 24 hrs on a track that took a couple of records if memeory serves right. Dropping a V8 is much easier, there are so many places that make kits specifically for that swap into an S-10, not to mention you can get your hands on a V8 WAAAAY cheaper then a full build and turbo. It will be easier to tune as well, where as a turbo you would need a dyno and some computer work done.

8. kotin9

kotin9 Rockstar

my budy in highschool some how shoehorned a 454 into an 88 s-10. he put a possie rear end in that thing. I dont know how he did it but that truck was scary fast.

9. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

350 for sure,
    Its alot of work,but boy they are fun to drive.

10. 2000 silvy

2000 silvy New Member

I kno that the syclones/ typhoons were highly modified and built up it doesnt necessarily mean that the V8's better if ur lookin for mpg's i'dthink a turbo'd be a way to go and a friend built a turbo 4 cyl dakota and he regularily beats 5.9r/t's with 10 pounds of boost whichi'd think a 4.3 would be able to handle not exactly sure tho cuza the splayed crank gonna be puttin a turbo on 4.3this summer we'll see how she goes i kno the v8's gonna be easier and way less work and $$$ , i like the idea of v8 s10's i just like turbo 4.3's better lol up to you in the end how much time money and work u wanna put in and what u want it for

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010