1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

350 rebuild

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Big Steu II, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Big Steu II

Big Steu II New Member

So I was dumb enough to let someone else change my oil on my 86 Chevy Stepside when it was twenty below zero here and that is where the trouble started. They didn't tighten the oil filter up, and about two weeks later I threw a rod through the oil pan. Now I want to rebuild the 350 and was looking for a few pointers. I have found a machine shop here in akron that can bore it out .30 over for me for a very good price, but was wondering where to go from there. I don't want something extreme, so a super high performance cam isn't what I want. I just want to beef up my truck and get it somewhere around or over 400 HP. Before this I had about 330.

What I have in it now....

350 out of an 85 Suburban
    original 4 speed manual tranny
    Quadrajet Carb
    Summit Headers with duals
    4" lift suspension lift
    33" Mickeys

My main question is do you guys have any tips on what carb I should get and what cam I would want to buy. I looked into carb and intake kits from summit and they are 600 cfm carbs and intakes for about 350 bucks. I really dont know what kind of cam I should get. Any help is appreciated guys.
  2. werty

werty New Member

shaved heads??flattop pistons????:neutral:they dont offer a sorta match for a cam???do you daily drive this rig????:neutral:
  3. Big Steu II

Big Steu II New Member

sort of, its my daily driver/off road fun. i did a co-op about a half hour away and bought a little ford pos to drive for mileage. im gonna get it bored, the heads shaved, and a buy a rebuild kit for it. im just tryin to figure out what size carb and what kind of cam to put in it.
  4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

go get a 572 block only and build that up lol. i bet by the time you're done, you'll have more than 400 hp
  5. Big Steu II

Big Steu II New Member

haha yeah if only money grew on trees man. no i dont want to stroke it or anything, get into way too much money there. i just wanna get a little more out of it, i built the truck out of two trucks i had and a suburban. i made the truck i always wanted and was thinking about rebuildin the motor before, but now that i threw the rod i have to. i dropped the 305 that was originally in it back into it for the time being