350 swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lvaubel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

Hey , new guy here. I have a 88 1500 4x4 with a tire old v6 automatic. I want to swap it out for a fresh new 350. will a small block bolt up to this tranny?

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcomd to the site! I'm sure some of the mechanical types will be able to help you out. My son has an '89 V6 w/auto and 320K miles on it and a 350 would sure do it some good. Good luck!

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. The engine bolt pattern is the same but the flex plates are different. Also a tired V-6 transmission will not hold up behind a V-8. The V-6 transmission has less clutch plates and runs on lower line pressure. The last thing you want to do is put a fresh V-8 in front of a tired worn out V-6 transmission.

4. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

thanks jimmie, With that said, i think ill try to find a complete drive train in a wrecked donor truck .... and swap out the entire thing.
    im sure ill have a lot more questions after i begin the project this winter.

5. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

will a 4x2 van work?

here is another question.
    I have found a donor VAN with a 350 coupled to a 4L60e tranny.(price is right)
    Will i be able to use this two wheel drive tranny for a 4x4 by simply swapping over the tranfer case ? Is there a differance between a 4x2 and a 4x4 tranny?

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will need to take both transmissions completely apart to switch the output shafts. A lot of work IMO. You would be a lot better off finding a 4X4.