1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

350 swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lvaubel, Oct 19, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

Hey , new guy here. I have a 88 1500 4x4 with a tire old v6 automatic. I want to swap it out for a fresh new 350. will a small block bolt up to this tranny?
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcomd to the site! I'm sure some of the mechanical types will be able to help you out. My son has an '89 V6 w/auto and 320K miles on it and a 350 would sure do it some good. Good luck!
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site. The engine bolt pattern is the same but the flex plates are different. Also a tired V-6 transmission will not hold up behind a V-8. The V-6 transmission has less clutch plates and runs on lower line pressure. The last thing you want to do is put a fresh V-8 in front of a tired worn out V-6 transmission.
  4. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

thanks jimmie, With that said, i think ill try to find a complete drive train in a wrecked donor truck .... and swap out the entire thing.
    im sure ill have a lot more questions after i begin the project this winter.
  5. lvaubel

lvaubel New Member

will a 4x2 van work?

here is another question.
    I have found a donor VAN with a 350 coupled to a 4L60e tranny.(price is right)
    Will i be able to use this two wheel drive tranny for a 4x4 by simply swapping over the tranfer case ? Is there a differance between a 4x2 and a 4x4 tranny?
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You will need to take both transmissions completely apart to switch the output shafts. A lot of work IMO. You would be a lot better off finding a 4X4.