1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

350 to 454 swap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by tattooed4life, Sep 3, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member 100 Posts

I have been back and forth on getting a 2500 burb with the 454 in it. I really don't want to give up my yukon, so I was thinking 454 in my yukon. I want it for more power and more or less to have the almighty 454 in my truck. Is this a possible swap? I know that changing motors is not an easy task I have done a few before. My problem is with all the computer controlled crap. Do I stand a chance? What do you guys think?
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yes its possible, it would be easier with yours then a newer one
  3. tattooed4life

I thought I saw another member on here that swapped his 350 to a 454. I just can't remember the name.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You WILL need the tranny from the doner, there may be some other things as well, I believe its azdrtdog that did the 350 to 454 swap!!
  5. tattooed4life

Thanks for the lead--I try to look him up to get some more info.
  6. fhaywood

fhaywood New Member

have you considered the 383 crate motor from GM Performance. Tons of power and torque and it's a direct swap. When...and if...the economy ever gets back on track (I'm a slaesman and business sucks) that's what I'm planning.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I bought the 97 Suburban 2500 4x4 I have now it came without a drivetrain, the truck only had 29000 miles but the original owner removed the 350 to transplant in a 1955 Suburban he was building.

I horse traded with a friend of mine for the drivetrain out of his 4x4 tow truck and ended up with a 454/4L80E. It was a GM crate engine and trans with only 2500 miles on it and it had some performance parts added after the install.

For the install I bought the crossmember, computer (eng and trans) new motor and trans mounts, driveshafts, a partial engine bay wire harness, and a new Modine 4 row radiator. Most of the parts came from a totaled B/B Suburban I found cheap on craigslist.
  8. yukonlover89

yukonlover89 New Member

i have 383 stroker if you want to buy it its sitting in my garage taking up space 1000 or obo and its yours its a 2000 block from jegs with about 20,000 on it... your intake and stuff will bolt on and it has the alt., water pump and everything still on the block. insane power its outta a truck that i side slide into a pole lol
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Even swapping in the 383 from GMPP you are riding a VERY thin line of what the 4L60E can handle, I would recommend getting a 4L80E and going from there. Otherwise you would want to get the 4L60E beefed up a bit.
  10. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member 100 Posts

here I am.. been there done that now im going for broke... check out my sas album