1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

350 to 454 swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Mike, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

I am wondering if some people could shed some light on an engine swap (from a 350 to a 454) and what all effort was involved to ensure that the vehicle will operate in optimum condition?
  2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Need more enough on your truck to even begin helping you out
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

It usually involves re-flashing your computer for the year of the 454 (if you get one with a computer in the deal you don't need to do this) and would probably be best if you hooked it onto a 4L80E transmission. That involves fabbing a new trans mount if you have a 4L60E since the 4L80E is longer. Shorter driveshaft as well and if 4x4 a longer front driveshaft I think.

Also a full wallet as 454s are gasaholics. Another option could be a 383 swap. Direct drop in, no re-flashing, pretty much same power in a smaller block.
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what he said^^^^^
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Add in a new set of front springs because the 454 is a bit heavier than the 350. But a lot is gonna depend on the year of the vehicle it's being dropped into and the year of the donor vehicle, almost every year engine has little differences that make swaps a challenge every time.
  6. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Well to be more clear, it's a '93 Silverado K1500. I was wondering about the engine mounts... Would those for a 350 be enough for a 454? And yeah, I do realize that about the poor fuel economy. However, if I would decide to go with the 454 (maybe in the future) it would just be for special uses (towing, hauling, etc.), not my daily driver. Thanks for the help!!!
  7. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

Don't forget about that poor lil 10 Bolt out back. You'll need to upgrade to a stronger rearend. The 10 bolt was never designed to handle big block torque.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

In general, it's not worth it to put a 454 in unless you just HAVE to have the bragging rights to say you have a 454 in your truck. The 454 will have to be backed up by a TH400 or 4L80E if you want it to survive. Then you have to deal with the computer and wiring harness, and while you're at it, you better swap out the 10-bolt out back like Boonduff said to a 12 or 14-bolt. Plus you have to put in a bigger radiator to support the extra heat, and on, and on, and on....

Me, I'd build up the 350, maybe throw a 4L80E behind it, and have some fun and upgrade everything else as time and money allows.
  9. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Good point there, Crawdaddy (and everyone else). The easiest method would be to buy a truck that came equipped with a 454 from the factory. LOL, there's a WHOLE lot of work involved based upon what everyone else has said! This thought had crossed my mind for an engine swap as a possibility one day. However, I am proud of my 350. But on the other hand, like with so many other parts of life, it's all what someone is willing to put into something. Effort goes a long way! Thanks for the advice everyone! Much obliged! I'll have to do some research into the 4L80E transmission... That has me curious. Talk about food for thought... Mmm!! LOL.