1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

350 turbo tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by oletrkguy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. oletrkguy

oletrkguy New Member

The speedometer cable going into my 1984 350 Turbo transmission is dripping a little fluid. How difficult is is to fix what ever is causing it to leak? Someone told me i could take the bolt out and remove the cable and there was a small O-ring that probably needs replacing.
    I was wondering if it is as simple to do as he made it sound? What else do I need to know and can I get the O-ring from the local parts store?
    Thanks for the advice...
  2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, that's exactly how simple it is. I just did a transmission swap on my 1985 chev 4x4, the only difference is that my speedometer cable goes into my transfer case, but there is either one or two o-rings on it.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2... thats how it was on Turbo400s that were in the armys hummers.. Well there was a speedo adapter that had an oring on it.
  4. oletrkguy

oletrkguy New Member

Thanks to everyone,,,i will work on the speedometer when I get the pan and screen bolted back on.
    I wonder why GM didn't not think to put a drain plug on the tranny pans? It sure would make changing the screen and filter an easier job and in my case I would probably change it more often.

Hopefully I can get the pan back on without leaks, have a great weekend..