350 turbo tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by oletrkguy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. oletrkguy

oletrkguy New Member

The speedometer cable going into my 1984 350 Turbo transmission is dripping a little fluid. How difficult is is to fix what ever is causing it to leak? Someone told me i could take the bolt out and remove the cable and there was a small O-ring that probably needs replacing.
    I was wondering if it is as simple to do as he made it sound? What else do I need to know and can I get the O-ring from the local parts store?
    Thanks for the advice...

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, that's exactly how simple it is. I just did a transmission swap on my 1985 chev 4x4, the only difference is that my speedometer cable goes into my transfer case, but there is either one or two o-rings on it.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2... thats how it was on Turbo400s that were in the armys hummers.. Well there was a speedo adapter that had an oring on it.

4. oletrkguy

oletrkguy New Member

Thanks to everyone,,,i will work on the speedometer when I get the pan and screen bolted back on.
    I wonder why GM didn't not think to put a drain plug on the tranny pans? It sure would make changing the screen and filter an easier job and in my case I would probably change it more often.

Hopefully I can get the pan back on without leaks, have a great weekend..