1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

35psi v 44psi

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by corvairfan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. corvairfan

corvairfan New Member

My 2004 Silverado Ext cab Z71 came with 265/75R16 rated for 35psi as the door post label recommends. After 50K time for new but don't really need off-road. I put General Grabber HTS on the rears, made for 44psi, and will do the front in a week or so. Back end handles fine and does not jump around at 42-44psi. Is there a true safety design reason for using 35psi tires, or are we talking comfort for the average driver? I have been trying to research this and I'm leaning toward the comfort angle.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Yes, the GM tire pressure recommendations printed on the door label are a compromise between ride comfort, tire wear, & mpg for the stock size tires that came with the truck new. I would go with what is posted on the sidewalls of your new tires as far as maximum, & experiment at PSIs below that as far as ride comfort vs MPG & the wear patterns that develop after you get some miles on them.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What he said. the 44 is a max cold psi. Here is one way to check for proper tire inflation aside from finding what you like as far as comfort etc. Mainly you gotta do some playing around with the pressures.

One way to check is to inflate the tire to say 35 (tires cold so not having been driven for a little while. As you drive the PSI will increase as the tires get hotter so that is why they do it as a cold PSI). Take some chalk and draw about a 1" thick line across the width of the tread (all 4 tires). Drive for about a mile and look at the chalk line (with the short drives you can do a few test without throwing of the psi in the tire, as you drive the air gets hotter and the psi reads higher. you can wait 5-10 minutes in between as well). if its all gone means you are pretty good on pressure. If the chalk is off of the edges and still in the middle the tire is under inflated. If the chalk is gone in the middle and still on the edge the tire is over inflated. play with the pressures and chalk to find the ideal pressure for your truck. not unusual for the front to have a little more air than the rear if you run the truck empty in the bed as there will be more weight up front at that point. set the truck up as you would normally drive for your most common weight. The other way to do it is how I do it since I have a gravel driveway. just driving down the driveway leaves that fine chalk on the tread so its the opposite of what I just stated (no dust on edges means over inflated).