Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

38000 Miles Motor get ripped apart

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Dr Len, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Dr Len

Dr Len Rockstar 100 Posts

I deeply saddens me that my 3 year old GMC Sierra Is at the dealer getting new lifters and valves. I took such good care of this truck. Was driving my truck all of a sudden started idleing rough. Call ONSTAR they told me it has a engine misfire. Go to service ASAP. Then to my surprise I get the news. I was alway a die hard GM guy.Maybe its time to move on and try a Ford.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm gonna guess you have a 5.3 with AFM, they have made sone changes to the engine in the last few years so dont give up yet.

3. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

And this is why I now buy a vehicle with a drive train that has been manufactured for at least 4 years, allowing "under the belt experience." It gives time to get to 100K miles and see if engines are falling apart. It also gives designers a chance to fix things. BTW, I switched from Ford to Chevy, because of a string of failures. A series of failures in the 5.4 line really left a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike Chevy, though, who manages to fix things, Ford engineers go from one bad design to another. 1997 to 2008 is a long time to consistently make bad engines that fail or have major problems before 150K (the 1997-2003 engines were notorios for blowing plugs and having catastrophic damage). They fixed some issues with the 2004-2008, but introduced new ones. I'm not yet convinced on the 2009 engines (4 years not up yet! LOL).

If you do go to Ford, research your engine very well.

In short, you're the beta-tester for new technology, and the hiccups that come with it. The AFM (Active Fuel Management) has been shown to be flighty. Hopefully, you were within your warranty period!

-Skippy

4. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Sorry about your engine Dr Len. I was really thinking about getting rid of my 2500HD with the 6.0L in favor of the 1500 with the 5.3L and AFE so I could eek out a few more MPG. I am so glad I didn't. I'll take my 11.5mpg over engine troubles any day. Warranty or not.

5. Dr Len

Im just pissed

6. Dr Len

Does anyone know what enhasncements they have made to the 5.3

7. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Three people I know of has 2008 and 2010 with over 80k - 100k miles on their truck and stll running strong. They all use about 1 quart/5k miles. My 2001 Suburban also uses about 1 quart every 5k miles. I am still monitoring my new to me 2011 5.3L.

Are the lifters, valves and camshaft a commom failure point on the 5.3L? I seldom hear an engine failure like yours.

I think you should be entitled to a new engine, not just a rebuild.

8. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I will be disabling my AFM on my 2011 Sierra 2WD 5.3 when I get a Black Bear tuning on my truck next month. I've got 18,000 miles on the motor but have heard about problems with AFM. It is a problem even know among the GM service guys. I asked about problems with the AFM motors the other day when I was getting some maintance done and the service manger mentioned that the engines were burning oil before I could bring it up. He told me that AFM was a joke and doesn't really save you much gas. He advised me to get it disable when I put the Black Bear tuning on my truck.

9. redvett

redvett Member

You know your 5 yr 100000 mi powertrain warranty will be junk if anything happens to the engine and they can prove it. A tune is considered a modification in the eyes of the MFR.

10. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

And that's why I'm getting the AutoCal so I can flash it back to factory settings when I go for maintance or whatever. And yes I'm aware the VCN number will change ever time it's flashed but they can't prove whats been done only that the something has been done.