3rd brake light, 05 yukon xl

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Pikey, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was pulling out of my parking spot at the gym last night and saw my 3rd brake light (oem led) flashing and flickering like crazy. I figure that it has gone bad and I need to replace it. I checked LMC and they do not have the one I need. I called the dealer, $199!! I called GM SPO and got my employee price of $99! I checked a bunch of aftermarket suppliers and can not find one. Autozone and advance has them for $65. Any suggestions on a place top find one? thanks.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If it's flickering, maybe the wire feeding it is broken. Is the light mounted on the lift-gate? If so, there will be a wire bundle that moves and flexes every time the gate is opened. These wires have been known to break.

3. Pikey

Good though Ray! But, mine is mounted above the lift gate and does not move when the gate or the glass is opened. I suspect that the seal went bad and water got into it.

4. RayVoy

I couldn't remember where it was mounted. An Envoy and a Jimmy, that I owned both had the light on the lift-gate (or glass) and both had a broken wire.

5. Pikey

I pulled it apart last night and played with the wires with no change. Looks like I will order one from advance. I can get if for $52 after taxes and a $10 off coupon. What I found crazy is that I called autozone and they were $3 cheaper and had it in stock. When I asked about the warranty the guy said that there is none. I found that odd, so I called another autozone. I got the same answer. Advance offers a lifetime warranty. Same manufacturer, same part number, just $3 more.

6. RayVoy

Good deal for $3.00 ($3.09 Canadian, haha).