4.10 gear change?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jamesdeanj, May 24, 2010.

1. jamesdeanj

jamesdeanj Member

I have a 2009 xcab, long bed with the 5.3L that I use for work. It came with 3.73 gears. I have about 500-1000lbs in the back all the time. 90-95% of my driving is in town.

Would I benifit from changing to 4.10 gears? Would my power or fuel economy go up?

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

An increase in fuel economy, no. a little more grunt gretting up and going in the city it would give you some of that. On the highway your RPMs will rise slightly but it shouldnt really negatively effect fuel economy either. On second thought it might help fuel economy wise in the city only because it wont have to work as hard to get things moving, but as a general rule its not going to help economy. It will throw off the speedometer slightly.

3. jamesdeanj

jamesdeanj Member

I know the speedo would have to be recalibrated.

I guess the question is does the less strain vs the higher RPM equate to better mileage/economy?

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Possibly in the city mileage but doubtful at highway speeds, that and a cost of about 600-700 bucks.