1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.3 votec to 5.7 vortec?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 99ta350, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 99ta350

99ta350 New Member

I was wondering what i would have to do in order to get this swap. I know motor mounts. I already have the 5.7 vortec. I heard you just swap motors and all the wiring is the same. I also have the 5.7 pcm. Is all this plug and play? Just take out 4.3 and swap in the 5.7 motor and computer? If there is a wright up point me that way or if anyone has done it could give me some pointers. I have a 98 Cheyenne fyi.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll!!!!!!!!!! Not exactly plug and play.......

First thing that comes to mind for me is the fact that the 4.3 is a v6, and the 5.7 is a V8 and the wiring harness would be two injectors short of fueling your new motor??? Also what year is the 5.7 out of?? If it's pre-96 then you will have to do an obd1-obd2 cross which is definately not plug and play. Also your existing transmission bellhousing will most likely require an adapter, because the bolts will not line up and you could also have a problem with the tail shaft being too long or too short.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

good luck Newbie ..................maybe a few trips to the local GM Dealer for some free advice might help....I'll bet
    you can find lots of help/info here over the next few weeks though !!!!
  4. TRPLXL2

WOW LOL!!! That's some f***** up advice ha ha ha, just out of curiosity how many NEW CAR engine swaps have you done?? Give him a break everyones gotta learn somehow, throw your two cents in and help a guy out.
  5. 99ta350

99ta350 New Member

Im not a newbie. And the motor is a 98. I've done plenty of ls1 fbody swaps. This forum is for asking questions not for dick head replies
  6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

never meant anything sarcastic....just though if you didn't get any specific info here, I know
    our GM Dealer always hands out free advice if anyone is stuck...they have lots of bulletins that they might even print out for you..

keep up the good work on the swap....no I have never done one, so I have no authority on your actual question.
  7. 99ta350

99ta350 New Member

8. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

wish you luck on doing the swap, from what the other thread said yes it should be if as long as its vortec. keep us posted on it tho!
  9. TRPLXL2

Well Murdog knows his stuff, I am at a loss for words I guess?? It boggles my mind about the harness, that would have been like me using my 3.8v6 harness in my 97 firebird when I put an LT1 in it... I wish it could have been that easy for me, alright well good luck to you then.