4.3l v6, how to get more horsepower and mpg

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wgstout, Aug 5, 2009.

1. wgstout

wgstout New Member

I just bought a 2005 Silverado 40k miles. It has a 4.3l v6 though, what can I do to give that motor a little more power and maybe help with mpg? Cold Air intake, supercharge?

2. truckertruck

truckertruck New Member

What kind of body style do you have? Extended cab? Regular cab? Long bed? Short bed?

I have the regular cab, shortbed and I recently averaged 25.5 mpg on the highway going between 60-65mph.

Cold air intake by K&N is something that I am strongly considering. I have heard good things about it.

3. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

25 mpg I have a 03 silverado with the 4.3 and it gets horrible fuel mileage. To get the power out of the v6 you have to put a cai, tune, exhaust, AND put a bottle of meth in it. All of this for less than 2 grand. A custom tune would make wonders on the power for you. Talk to jesse at wait4meperformance call him and talk to him his website is not finished yet but you can get the phone number off of it. GOOD LUCK

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

Hi, I would say to maximize your fuel
    1. Lighter Foot ( Obvious I know, but It's true works for me )
    2. Intake definitely. Make sure you stay out of water with the K and N
    3. Cat back maybe? Doesn't do a whole lot, maybe 1-2 mpg at best. It will sound good though.
    4. Make sure you aren't carrying anything that isn't necessary in your truck. Example: I used to carry a Snow Machine around with me all the time, not only when I used it.
    5. Tires inflated properly.
    6. Computer Programmer, will work well, my friend has an s10 V6.

That's about it.
    Best of Luck to You.

2006 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3l Z71 4WD