Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4.3L V6 Silverado ~ Information and Advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dark star, Jan 5, 2013.

1. dark star

dark star Member

Hello,

I've been searching for threads concerning this motor and cannot locate ?
    is there any info on the forum ?

Thanks in advance

2. Johnny Hoss

Johnny Hoss New Member

Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm neither a GM engineer nor an ASE certified mechanic. Just a shade tree mechanic truck owner.

i had a V-6 4.3 in my 1990 work truck 1500. Essentially it is a 350 V-8 with two cylinders lopped off.

that beng said its as reliable as the venerable 350 in my mind, only 3/4 of the stock power.

Here is another added bonus that I took advantage of when I had that. A lot of parts like valves, rockers, pushrods, pistons, rings, conn-rods, etc etc are same as a 350. Sure if you buy stuff in a kit for an 8 cylinder you'll have two of everything left over, but it gives you options. I put aluminum connecting rods, .060 oversize pistons after a bore out, sodium filled valves, roller rockers, moly push rods, etc. all performance stuff from 350 that fit my 4.3.

For stuff that's 6- cyl specific, Edelbrock made a performance intake manifold for the GM 4.3 specifically. And either Edelbrock or Holley (forget which now) had a high output, larger bore TBI injection unit. Forget which manufacturer had the headers, I think either Hedman or Hooker (again specific to the 4.3). I think the cat back exhaust was the same for that model & year regardless of engine and the glass pack was, well, just a glass pack.

The only thing that was "out there" that I didn't put on was the Vortec supercharger package that at the time (about 1998 or so) was nearly 3 grand by itself.

Bottom line, it's never going to be a V-8, but it is something you can have fun with if you'd like.

3. dark star

dark star Member

Thanks Johnny, sounds like your engine will be quite a performer
    compared to the stock 195 hp motor :glasses:

4. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

[MENTION=58588]dark star[/MENTION], iv got a 4.3 in my '02. what year is yours? if you have the "spider" injections system in yoru truck and its the poppet style injectors then you can upgrade to the electronic injectors.

in my truck i have trimmed the butterfly baffle in the throttle body, installed a flow master muffler, added a k&n drop in filter and drilled a lot of 1/2" holes in the bottom half of my air box. next week the truck is getting a tuned pcm as well.

5. dark star

dark star Member

Mines an 09, i'm not a mechanical genius.
    so most of this is over my head.
    just looking for the pro's and con's of the 4.3l

Thanks for the responses

6. dark star

dark star Member

On a side note, this motor gets better gas mileage than my old Toyota 3.0L V6 all day long.
    I guess technology has progressed a long way from 1991 :happy:

7. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

It'll be real interesting what they get out of the new 4.3L in the just announced 2014 trucks. Some expect at least 315 HP and 25 MPG. Hopefully we'll see the real numbers soon.

8. a.graham52

if thats the case id like to see what they do to the engine to rework it. i feel like the engine is maxed out for its potential as it is.

9. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

10. a.graham52

sounds like the 4.3 is going to be more related to the newer engines then it is the older ones like we have now.