1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.3l V6 Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by no0b123, May 25, 2008.

1. no0b123

no0b123 New Member ROTM Winner

I am looking for a Supercharger for my 1500 Silverado Ext. cab. This thing is a dog, and I need enough power to pass people, not necessarily race them. I cannot find a Supercharger for the Vortec 4300 though. Can someone help me out?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. no0b123

I would go turbo but I'm looking for that instant off the line power. If a turbo system is cheaper, then I'll go with that. I just like the whine of the Superchargers :glasses:
  4. Slow1500

Slow1500 New Member

That's the only kit I know of. Will probably go with that one day, myself.
  5. RockHead

RockHead New Member ROTM Winner

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/ Magna Charger isa great Company

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/ Vortech superchargers are also very good

Regardless of the specific type of device a supercharger (or a turbocharger) is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you pump through an engine at any given engine speed the more power you will make. Superchargers force more air into the combustion chamber than the engine will draw in its naturally aspirated condition. Whereas turbochargers are driven by exhaust gas flow, superchargers are driven directly off the crankshaft, usually by a belt. There is a common misconception that turbochargers give you "free power" but in reality having a turbo interrupt your exhaust flow is like having a cork in your tailpipe, it takes engine power to force the exhaust out past the turbocharger.

Magnuson Products, Inc. supplies superchargers to individuals and companies that design and manufacture installation kits for specific applications. Our R&D Department is available to assist in the design of an installation kit intended for medium to large scale production and resale. However, it is not cost effective for us or our customers for us to directly work on “one off” installations. We believe in supercharging and our stated purpose is to promote supercharging so to that end are pleased to offer technical assistance to those who wish to undertake the design and fabrication of a supercharger system utilizing one of our superchargers.

Our superchargers are engineered for port injected gasoline engines. They can be mounted in any of a variety of locations in the engine compartment (basically where ever it will fit) and in any orientation (flat, upside down, rotor over rotor) as long as the drive pulley is aligned with the crank pulley and the drive pulleys for existing accessories, and there is available space to route the air into and out of the supercharger. The proper location for the supercharger is between the air throttle body and the intake manifold. In addition to supercharger mounting brackets this requires the installer to fabricate a plenum to go between the outlet of the throttle body and the inlet flange of the supercharger. A supercharger outlet plenum will be required to mount the unit and serve as an adaptor to the intake manifold. A longer drive belt will be required with associated idlers and a belt tensioner. Once the supercharger is mounted and plumbed the engine electronics and fuel management systems will have to be calibrated and tuned.
  6. no0b123

"the engine electronics and fuel management systems will have to be calibrated and tuned."

Does that mean It's no good getting a custom tune if a pre-programmed PCM is included with the supercharger.
  7. RockHead

RockHead New Member ROTM Winner

When you get the Supercharger installed then you tune for it .
  8. no0b123

Thanks for the information buddy. I think I found something....
    BTW, this is for the late future. For the near future, I have plans for a CAI and a Custom tune.
  9. armyman1ID

armyman1ID New Member

I have a 2005 silverado EXT cab with the 4.3 and I have been looking for a supercharger everywhere. It seems like they are only made for the older S10. Can anyone point me in the right direction?