1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.3z and 4.3w?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rfrechette821, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rfrechette821

rfrechette821 New Member

Hello. My name is ritchie. I have a 95 s10 4x4 with the 4.3 vin"z". My question being, Can i swap the intake manifold and throttle body assembly from the z motor over to a w? No junkyards around me have the z only the w but i dont want to have to get a new computer. Also, i know that the w motor has position sensors, would that matter also? Im ready to try anything at this point.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

THe Z motor has the same heads as the W motor so it should pretty much be bolt and go. The W really has to do more with the intake etc since it was an update. And what is currently wrong with your motor??
  3. rfrechette821

rfrechette821 New Member

I have a very bad knock coming from either a rod or even possibly the front main bearing. I would chase the problem if i had the time, but this is the only vehicle i have and time is an issue. I believe my oil pump failing was the cause of all this, and i figured my best way out instead of chasing thee problem would b to get a used motor. So with the position sensors your saying they only matter if i used the cpi setup for the w motor?
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes, and you cannot use the CPI set up for the W motor since it is OBD2 and yours is OBD1. You will have to swap over your intake to make it work correctly.