Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4.8-5.3 engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by just4x4crazy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. just4x4crazy

just4x4crazy New Member

Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum and im trying to get some info on if it is possible to swap a 4.8 out for a 5.3. I have a wrecked 02 silverado with a running 5.3 in it. I want to put it in my 07 silverado that has a 4.8. I plan on rebuilding the 5.3 and drop it in the 07 truck. My problems are whether or not the engine will bolt up to the tranny and the frame and if the electronics will work off the 4.8 or do i need the 5.3 electronics. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Corey

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Is your 07 a classic (NBS) or the newer body style (NNBS)? It should bolt up to the transmission fine, as both trucks use the 4L60E. The electronics I'm not sure about though.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Pretty sure you'll have to reflash your cpu for a 5.3

4. just4x4crazy

just4x4crazy New Member

Thanks, its a newer body style and they both do have the 4 speeds with them. since i still have the complete truck with the cpu for the 5.3 will i still have to flash it also?