4.8/5.3 Tensioner pulley (replace pulley or assembly?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hi all,

I am going to be replacing the tensioner pulley very soon and i was wondering, should this be replaced as just the pulley or the entire pulley plus its mounting bracket that bolts to the head/block/where-ever?

If just the pulley, could the bearing simply be pressed out and replaced? I understand that NAPA has a respectable inventory of inter-operable bearings you just bring the bearing itself or the part number.

Thanks in advance

2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Rockstar 100 Posts

IIRC the last time I replace mine on my 2000 I replaced the entire assy, bracket and all.

silverado002 and RayVoy like this.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, go with Scott's advice, it's a small job if you change the assembly, a bigger job to rebuild the assembly, and you may not save much money.

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

The springs do lose there tension over hundreds of heat cycles and I once had one break. Go with the whole unit, a lot less time spent.

silverado002 likes this.
  5. Hightower

Hightower New Member

I would replace the entire belt tensioner/idler pulley.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. Bowtied

Bowtied Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ok so my last question is are the tensioner and idler pulleys mounted to the same bracket? I prob should go ahead and replace both but rockauto is showing the bracket and pulley just for the tensioner the idler is separate and appears not to come with a mounting bracket (suggesting that perhaps there is no mounting bracket since it may just bolt into the tensioner bracket)

thanks in advance

edit: if either of these pulleys seize up on me will it cause catastrophic damage?

7. Flyinfool

Flyinfool Rockstar 100 Posts

If either of those pulleys seize up the belt will likely continue to move by sliding over the pulley, but the belt will wear out very quick and then you will loose everything that it drives. Sudden lose of power steering could be bad, loss of water pump will not do the engine any good either. I have never seen the tensioner or idler pulleys seize up, wear out and fall apart yes, all the time.

On the tensioner even if you rebuild the bearings the rest of the tensioner is not far behind and will likely fail soon. Best off replacing the assembly.

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

They are nnot mounted on the same bracket.