Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4.8 motor

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dbandgb, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dbandgb

dbandgb New Member

i am looking at a 2007 GMC 4 door P/U with the 4.8 motor and 4 speed auto. any opinions on the 4.8? good or bad. thanks

2. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome,
    The 4.8 is strong motor, its been around for quite a few years and has proven reliability. Will you be needing the truck for anything other than daily driving?

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. The 4.8 is like the other LS type truck engines if taken care of it will last almost forever. It has fewer problems per 100 engines than Ford and Toyota. If your not going to tow anything heavy than go for it.

4. dbandgb

dbandgb New Member

no, just our daily driver which is about 4000 miles per year.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Then the 4.8L will suit your needs. The 4.8L doesnt have a ton less power than the 5.3L but there is a pretty big difference in how it feels. BUt if it is mainly a driver with trips to home depot then it will be great for you!

6. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my 4.8 has been great for me, Havnt had an issue with it, and its a daily driver, and I've had to pull a few fords that died here and there

7. jdchet

jdchet Member

I have had 2 Chevy pickups with the 4.8 engine and have had no problems with either one. My only gripe with them concerns my 2007 4X4 Silverado LT1 Extended Cab. Truck has the 3.42 rear axle ratio with stock 17" tires. The 4.8 is a little weak at low RPM's. The 4.8 needs to rev a bit to make some decent torque to haul a 5,000 lb. pickup up hills and such. If you live in a relatively flat area and don't haul any big loads regularly this will be of little concern. If you've got lots of hills to deal with the tranny will be downshifting quite a bit to maintain speed on the highway. I feel many of the shortcomings I've just described are the fault of the 3.42 rear. At 65-70 mph the engine is turning right around 2000 rpm's and there is not enough torque at that point to keep it from downshifting. This was of little concern in the 2002 2wd reg. cab long bed Silverado I had before this due to lighter weight, 3.73 rear and 16" tires. It also towed up to 3,000 lbs. quite good too! Fuel mileage on the 2007 is about 12 around town and 17-19 on a trip:grrrrrr:. The 2002 got about 15 around town and 19-21 on a trip:great:. All in all an engine that will do the job with no problem!

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 4.8 is a good reliable motor
    The only problem- is the 5.3 IS SOOOO ALAROUND GOOD
    Make sure you get a good price on it-it should sell for $1000 or more less than a similar 5.3-folks love the 5.3-they like the 4.8

Price is right-go for it.

9. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron Rockstar 100 Posts

Sorry I cant add to the comments on the 4.8 but would like to say, Welcome to the club!!!

10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive got the 4.8l in my 2003 Silverado 1500...i love the motor and its pull everything that i need too,even my 5,500 pound camper.Ive got the RC leveling kit and 285 tires,and it still pulls pretty good but my rear sags quite a bit after the leveling kit,but thats why im getting air bags for the rear!...damn good motor!