1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.8 towing question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mapper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mapper

mapper New Member

New guy here. I am thinking about buying a 07 4.8L chevy extended cab. I pull a enclosed 6x12 trailer 3 or 4 times a year. Will this truck pull this trailer ok? I have also heard that the newer trucks have more horsepower per cubic inch than the older models. I now have a 94 5.3 chevy.:neutral:

Thanks for the help.

Mapper
  2. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Did some research for you.

- Uhaul 6x12 enclosed trailer max weight loaded is 4400 lbs (just for reference)
    - your trucks towing capacity is 10500 lbs.

Looks like unless you plan on hauling lead you should be pretty good.
  3. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

you should have no problem. In my opinion your fuel mileage will probally be better with the 5.3 than the 4.8. But as far as power the 4.8 and 5.3 are not that far apart.
  4. GMC era

GMC era Rockstar

Your 4.8 should pull it fine, depending on what you're hauling. When talking about power, it's not so much about size as it is weight. The truck should handle about anything you'll put in it 3-4 times per year though.
  5. kcb37

kcb37 Member

A 6x12 can easily be rated for 10,000 pounds, if not more. It depends on the axles on the trailer.
    Weather a 4.8 is going to pull it well or not is going to depend on the truck, and what you put in the trailer.
    Do you know the weight of the trailer loaded?
    Do you know what gears the truck has? If you have 3.42's or lower it's not going to pull real well on the highway. If the truck has 3.73's it will pull fine.
    As far as the weight of the trailer though, I think somewhere around 7,000 pounds would be max before it really starts to work it. Not saying it can't pull 10,000 just that it's really going to start working the engine harder.
    All that being said because you pull it so little, you should be fine even if it struggles a little. Just keep it out of OD, and in TH.
  6. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

Right now you have a 94 5.3? Do you mean 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7? Well looking up a 94 2500 5.7 it has a maximum towing capacity of 5000 lbs and has 210 hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque. Those are all lower numbers than the truck you are looking at, so yes if you can pull the trailer with your truck now the new truck would be more than sufficient.
  7. mapper

mapper New Member

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. I found one that I like I think I will go talk to them the first of the week see if we can deal. Wish me luck.