4.8L build to reach 375-385 hp, all motor!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Dontlookforme, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Dontlookforme

Dontlookforme Rockstar

Looking to build a 4.8L Monster! I got one out of a junkyard and its sitting in my shop. Im pritty sure that the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L motors are from the same cast iron block! i know that the 6.0L motors now make 345+ hp. So my goal for making 375-385 hp, is a possibility? Im looking to bore and stroke the 4.8L 292ci out to a 366ci or somthing as close as i can. While still having enough meat left to reuse the motor again. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Thanks jason

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Obviously a cam, and some porting on the heads, high output Injectors, better intake.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

What kind of fuel are you planning on running Jason? Pump gas?

4. Dontlookforme

Dontlookforme Rockstar

Yes, pump gas. 93 octane.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I believe the 4.8 and the 5.3 are the same block and the 6.0 is differant. You can bore the 6.0 more than the 4.8&5.3. Theres a reason you see most people using the 6.0 block for performance engine building.

6. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I would go a little farther than just porting and polishing the heads, like maybe an entirely new set. I would start looking at full builds on LS1s and LS6s and see what you like and start from there.

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Also on 4.8 & 5.3's theres a limit to what cylander heads you can use because of there small cylinder bore.