1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.8L build to reach 375-385 hp, all motor!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Dontlookforme, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Dontlookforme

Dontlookforme Rockstar

Looking to build a 4.8L Monster! I got one out of a junkyard and its sitting in my shop. Im pritty sure that the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L motors are from the same cast iron block! i know that the 6.0L motors now make 345+ hp. So my goal for making 375-385 hp, is a possibility? Im looking to bore and stroke the 4.8L 292ci out to a 366ci or somthing as close as i can. While still having enough meat left to reuse the motor again. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Thanks jason
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Obviously a cam, and some porting on the heads, high output Injectors, better intake.
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

What kind of fuel are you planning on running Jason? Pump gas?
  4. Dontlookforme

Dontlookforme Rockstar

Yes, pump gas. 93 octane.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I believe the 4.8 and the 5.3 are the same block and the 6.0 is differant. You can bore the 6.0 more than the 4.8&5.3. Theres a reason you see most people using the 6.0 block for performance engine building.
  6. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I would go a little farther than just porting and polishing the heads, like maybe an entirely new set. I would start looking at full builds on LS1s and LS6s and see what you like and start from there.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Also on 4.8 & 5.3's theres a limit to what cylander heads you can use because of there small cylinder bore.