Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4-speed upgrade to 5-speed

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Stubblejumper, May 1, 2012.

1. Stubblejumper

Stubblejumper New Member

Hello, everyone. New to the site - I just bought a 1988 C30 4 x 4 with 7.4 liter and 4-speed manual transmission. I'd like to swap out the 4-speed for a 5-speed with overdrive and wonder if anyone else has done the same.

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The NV4500 5spd is a good swap. Still gives you the granny low and a overdrive gear.

3. Stubblejumper

Stubblejumper New Member

Thanks. I'm presuming the NV4500 will work with my existing transfer case - will I need a new clutch and bell housing?

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

I know it depends upon which transfercase you have. There was also several changes to the NV4500 over the years so it also matters which one you get. Give Advance Adapters a call @ 1-800-350-2223. They'll be able to tell which model years will swap the easiest and if any adapters will be needed.